Have you always been interested in finance? Do you want to make a career out of it? Then corporate finance is one of the best-suited career opportunities for you. Remember, there is endless scope for trained and skilful corporate finance professionals out there in the real world.
Hence, before directly jumping into making a career out of corporate finance, you need to understand a few basic things about the field. To be specific, you must know 3 three things –
- What is the subject all about?
- What are the job roles available for students?
- Which sectors hire such professionals?
Having an answer to all three questions mentioned above will make it easier for you to analyse and choose the best option for yourself. This blog intends to give you all the elementary ideas about pursuing a career in corporate finance. Hopefully, it will help you observe the entire picture and take the final call.
What Is a Job in Corporate Finance All About?
Financial strength plays a huge role in the success of a company or a business. Usually, the senior authorities of the company prefer hiring someone knowledgeable to look over the finance department and provide required suggestions.
As a corporate finance employee, you may have to look over a company’s regular finances and financial transactions. This includes responsibilities like budgeting, making investments, statement preparation and etc.
A career in corporate finance has a diverse range of responsibilities. You are the best to judge your capabilities and hence choose the best-fitted option for you.
Skills needed for a career in corporate finance
For every type of job, there is a set of skills that makes a candidate eligible for it. The same is the case in the field of corporate finance. To have a successful career in this field, you must have the following skills –
- Analytical ability.
- Leadership qualities.
- Research skills.
- Network developing skills.
- Communication skills.
- Negotiation skills.
- Financial reporting skills.
Besides gaining all the scholarly knowledge, you must develop all these skills. Having at least 4 of the 7 skills will help you edge out among other candidates during an interview.
Different Types of Corporate Finance Jobs
There are mainly four types of jobs in the field of corporate finance. They are –
- Monetary preparation and investigation – Also known as financial planning and analysis. It includes responsibilities like budgeting, developing key performance indicators and analysing the recent trends.
- Treasury – Individuals in this role are generally required to make decisions regarding future operational costs, legit investments. They also manage the flow of cash in an organisation.
- Investor relations – Investor relations employees are responsible for managing dividends and buybacks policies. They also look for equity options for the business. But unfortunately, every company does not have this position.
- Corporate development – These individuals are expected to work for the growth and development of the company through mergers and acquisitions. They identify the companies that can be merged with their own, find out the merger details and secure the financial components of the deal.
Types of Corporate Finance Employers
When you are looking for a job in corporate finance, you must have an initial idea of which type of employers to approach. This knowledge makes the entire process a lot easier. Below mentioned are a few types of employers who hire corporate finance employees.
- Public accounting firms – These firms prepare financial statements, tax strategies and tax documents for government and non-profit organisations. The corporate finance job roles available at these firms include corporate accounting, tax and monetary preparation.
- Corporations – These firms hire such candidates who can analyse a company’s financial strength and shortcomings and hence develop strategies for the same. They are also trusted to manage the investors of the company.
- Banks – Banks often offer financial services to customers. For this purpose, they hire corporate finance employees who advise and deal with the bank’s customers.
- Start-ups – These days, small businesses and start-ups hire employees to manage their costs and expenditure and secure relevant investors for their business. The corporate finance employees in these types of companies are responsible for ensuring the company’s financial growth.
Education Required for Career in Corporate Finance
To pursue a career in corporate finance, it is essential to have sound knowledge on the subject of finance. You must be well accustomed to the terminology and techniques of the subject. This knowledge will help you deal with different situations during your work time. You can follow the following three courses to build a career in corporate finance –
- Chartered Accountancy
- Cost and Management Accountancy
- MBA with finance in the specialisation
There are several institutes all around the globe providing such courses. Other than these mainstream courses, if required, you can opt for multiple online certificate courses available these days. Do not worry about the quality of such courses. It is so because many renowned universities also offer distant online certificate courses for students who can’t afford to visit the university, due to whatever reason.
Corporate Finance is one such sector with immense scopes and opportunities for passionate and skilful candidates about the same. If you need any type of career counselling regarding this, refer to online finance assignment help services. The subject experts and tutors often provide live sessions about the career opportunities related to the subject.