For the poem published by the Greek poet Nikos Gatsos, see Nikos Gatsos § Select bibliography Amorgos ( greek : Αμοργός, Amorgós ; pronounced [ amorˈɣos ] ) is the easternmost island of the Cyclades island group and the nearest island to the neighboring Dodecanese island group in Greece. Along with 16 neighboring islets, the largest of which ( by estate area ) is Nikouria Island, it comprises the municipality of Amorgos, which has a land area of 126.346 square kilometres ( 48.782 square miles ) [ 1 ] and a population of 1,973 ( 2011 census ) .
geography [edit ]
Satellite prototype of Amorgos
Reading: Amorgos – Wikipedia
due to its position near the ancient ionian towns, such as Miletus, Halicarnassus and Ephesus, Amorgos became one of the first places from which the Ionians passed through to the Cycladic Islands and onto the greek mainland .
history [edit ]
Acropolis of Arkessini Throughout history, Amorgos was besides known as Yperia, or Platagy, Pagali, Psichia, and Karkisia. [ citation needed ] Amorgos features many remnants of ancient civilizations. At the meter of Archaic Greece, there were three freelancer city-states there. They are believed to have featured autonomous constitutions but the same currentness. Amorgos is distinguished by the size and quality of the walls surrounding the city of Arkesini, the ancient towers whose remains are scattered around the island, ancient grave, gem tools, inscriptions, vases and by other antiquities. due to the appoint Minoa, it is suspected that Amorgos had been colonized by the Cretans from ancient times, [ citation needed ] but there is no archaeological testify supporting this opinion. [ 2 ]
early Cycladic period [edit ]
Dokathismata figurine, Early Cycladic II, Syros phase ( 2800–2300 BC ) about a twelve separate inhabited centres are known in this time period. Amorgos is the origin of many celebrated Cycladic figurines. ‘ Dokathismata vogue ’ figurines were originally found hera. Cycladic sculptures had been discovered from the cemeteries at Aghia Paraskevi, Aghios Pavlos, Dokathismata, Kapros, Kapsala, Nikouria and Stavros. [ 3 ] ‘Kapsala Cycladic figurines ‘, dating around 2700 B.C., are named after a find station in Amorgos. This is the earliest of the ‘canonical types ‘ – a reclining female with close up arms. They tend to have slender and elongated proportions. At this time, anatomic features such as arms are modeled three-dimensionally. With the late types, sculptors tended to render this have with incised lines. [ 4 ] ‘Dokathismata Cycladic figurines ‘ date from a slightly late period of 2400–2100 BC. Compared to the statuettes of the Spedos type—the most coarse and celebrated character of figurines featuring finely modeled and slightly rounded shapes—the statuettes of the Dokathismata type tend to have a more lissome and sometimes angular silhouette .
classical period [edit ]
part of the island is named Aspis, where the ancient synagogue of the goddess Aphrodite stood. In approximately 630 BC, the poet Semonides led the foundation of a Samian colony on Amorgos. The Periplus of Pseudo-Scylax mentions it as Tripolis. It was a member of the Delian League. [ 5 ] It participated in the second Athenian League. [ 6 ] In 322 BC, Athens and Macedonia fought the naval Battle of Amorgos. Heraclides Lembus wrote that the island produced much wine, angstrom well as olive oil and fruits. [ 7 ] With the pass of time, the island ‘s identify changed to Amolgon and Amourgon .
Byzantine, Ottoman and Modern [edit ]
In the fifth century, Bishop Theodore, who attended a synod in Constantinople, signed as Bishop of the Parians, Sifnians, and Amoulgians. It was known as Yamurgi during Ottoman rule between 1566 and 1829. On 9 July 1956, a big earthquake occurred that generated a local tsunami of up to 30 megabyte ( 98 foot ). The shock had a moment magnitude of 7.7 and had a maximal Mercalli volume of IX ( Violent ). fifty-three people were killed and 100 were injured .
government [edit ]
opinion of Tholaria village Street of Langada village The names of the three cities given by Stephanus Byzantinus are Arkesini, Minoa, Aigiali or Melania which, according to inscriptions, are the most decline. The three towns are on the island ‘s west coast because that is where bays and natural ports that could provide the proper position for seaside towns and forts exist.
Aigiali was on the north East Side of the island close to the stage day locations of Tholaria and Stroumvos and to this day can hush be found there. Minoa is situated at the kernel of the northern slope near the stage day village of Katapola and Arkesini finale to the contemporary lowland localization Kastri. Excavations and findings, specially burying tombs, prove the intense presence of Amorgos during the prehistoric years, particularly during the foremost period of Cycladic civilization ( 3200 to 2000 BC ) .
Cinema and popular culture [edit ]
The island was featured in Luc Besson ‘s film The Big Blue ( 1988 ), in which Agia Anna and the monastery of Panagia Hozoviotissa can be seen. The island was besides featured in Giorgos Kordelas ‘ film Ariadni ( 2002 ). [ citation needed ]. Amorgos has been referenced on-line due to the similarity of its diagnose to the video recording game Among Us. [ 8 ]
municipal districts [edit ]
The municipality of Amorgos is subdivided into the trace communities ( population at 2011 census and constituent villages within brackets ) :
historic population [edit ]
|Year||Village population||Municipality population|
climate [edit ]
Amorgos has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate with meek temperatures all year .
|Climate data for Aigiali, Amorgos (3m)|
|Average high °C (°F)||14.9
|Average low °C (°F)||10.8
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||179.2
|Source: http://penteli.meteo.gr/stations/amorgos/ (2019 – 2020 averages)|
Landmarks [edit ]
The monastery of Panagia Hozoviotissa. The monastery of Panagia Hozoviotissa is situated on the cliffside, northeasterly of Chora. It was built early in the second millennium in regulate to protect a religious icon, dating from the year 812, from intruders. The icon is on public display inside the monastery. open time for visitors every day from 8:00 ante meridiem to 1:00 p.m and 5:00 post meridiem to 7:00 p.m. Visitors have to be dressed in a specific direction in order to enter. Men have to wear long trousers and women a skirt or a wrapping around shift down to the knee, not trousers. The transfer may, however, be worn over trousers. As of July 2012, the monastery is active and houses three practicing monks. tourism is increasing slowly, although the island ‘s geographic features prevent mass tourism. It is accessible only by boat. The three independent tourist accommodations are located in Katapola, Aegiali and Chora. Hiking paths are relatively well maintained. early activities include aqualung dive, free-diving, and visiting the island ‘s beaches ( although this is n’t its main attraction, like other Greek islands ). Another landmark in the sphere is a group of windmills that can be seen on a mound above Chora. A pair of them can be visited, while others are either lock or in ruins. It ‘s easy to reach the location either by car or on infantry, going through Chora. There is no admission to enter the area. [ 9 ]
See besides [edit ]
References [edit ]
Sources [edit ]
- Saint-Guillain, Guillaume (2001). “AMORGOS AU XIVe SIÈCLE. Une seigneurie insulaire entre Cyclades féodales et Crèle vénitienne”. Byzantinische Zeitschrift (in French). 94 (1): 62–189. doi:10.1515/byzs.2001.94.1.62. ISSN 0007-7704. S2CID 191576963.