Town and Borough in England
Tamworth ( ) is a commercialize town and borough in Staffordshire, England, 14 miles ( 23 kilometer ) northeast of Birmingham and on the West Coast Main Line. The town borders North Warwickshire to the east and north, Lichfield to the north, southwest and west. The M6 Toll runs to the south of the township. It takes its name from the River Tame, which flows through it. The population of Tamworth borough ( mid-2019 eastern time. ) was 76,696. [ 1 ] The across-the-board urban sphere has a population of 81,964.
Reading: Tamworth, Staffordshire – Wikipedia
Tamworth was the chief center of royal power of the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Mercia during the 8th and 9th centuries. It hosts a simpleton but elevated 12th hundred castle, a well-preserved chivalric church ( the church of St Editha ) and a Moat House. Tamworth was historically divided between Warwickshire and Staffordshire until 1889, when the township was placed wholly in Staffordshire. [ 2 ] The town ‘s industries include logistics, engineering, invest, brick, tile and paper industry. Until 2001 one of its factories was Reliant, which produced the Reliant Robin three-wheel car and the Reliant Scimitar sports car. The Snowdome, a prototype real-snow indoor ski slope is in Tamworth and 1.7 miles ( 2.7 kilometer ) south is Drayton Manor Theme Park and one of the many marinas serving the Coventry Canal and Birmingham and Fazeley Canal which combine confederacy of the town .
history [edit ]
Romans [edit ]
When the Romans arrived in Britain, ( 43–409 CE ) the Trent Valley was home to the british Coritani tribe. attest of Roman activeness in the area of Tamworth consists of fragments of Roman build materials found near Bolebridge Street. [ 3 ] Tamworth was near the Roman road, Watling Street and a few miles from the Roman town of Letocetum .
Following the end of Roman principle, the area around the Tame valley was occupied by Anglo-Saxons from northern Germany and Jutland. Stephen Pollington states that the settlers that reached Tamworth were Angles, who left their homelands after rising sea levels flooded much of the farming. Britain offered an attractive option as its landscape was exchangeable to their homelands, but was more fecund and had a more centrist climate. The Angles arrived from the north, navigating inland via the River Humber, River Trent and the River Tame. [ 3 ] The settlers established themselves in “ an loose hayfield by the Tame ” which they called “ Tomworðig ”. Nearby they established an “ insert estate ” called “ Tomtun ” – Tame-town – fortified with a palisade rampart. These people called themselves the “ Tomsaete “ : Tame-settlers. Tomtun was initially “ not much more than a bastioned manor ”. The settlement straddled the River Anker and contained a “ big hall for public gatherings ” arsenic well as individual homes and agricultural buildings such as stables and granaries. The Lords of Tame-Settlers quickly became affluent and Tamworth was thus able to be fortified far. [ 3 ] The Tomsaete were a military tribe ; however, soldiers finally reached an age where they retired from military duty and were then allotted parcels of down to farm, oversee and defend. Fertile lands surrounding the rivers were allotted first, then the hill lands ; this country spreading far and further, spreading the power and influence of the kin. The Tomsaete were one of countless tribes “ all compete for power and influence ”, however the Lords of the Tomsaete came to control and to “ dominate ” the sphere known as english Midlands. The tribes initially ruled through unions and alliances of leading families and there is evidence of reach with families across England and besides back in the Anglo-Saxon homelands. however, this “ warlord ” form of government developed and the Tomsaete ‘s lands became a Kingdom with a one drawing card. [ 3 ]
Mercian ‘capital ‘ [edit ]
The Tomsaete lived in the heartland of what by the recently sixth century had become the Kingdom of Mercia, the largest of the kingdoms in what is now England. Under King Penda in the seventh century, it became the most mighty. The King was not static and would not have a individual residency ; rather he travelled round his territories “ to be seen by his people, to give legal judgments, to reward commitment and to try offenders ”. Tamworth was likely a stopping seat on the royal tour, becoming a royal vill from the one-seventh hundred, with an early minster church and river crossing. [ 4 ] It was fortified as a burh in the late eighth century, with an earthen rampart and timber palisade surrounded by a dump. [ 5 ] [ 3 ]
Coin depicting the point of King Offa By the end of the eighth hundred it had been established by King Offa of Mercia ( 757-796 ) as the static kernel of royal power for his expanding political ambitions – more like a capital than had previously been seen anywhere in Anglo-Saxon England. [ 7 ] One of the earliest surviving written records mentioning Tamworth dates from Offa ‘s reign ; a accord of land to monks at Worcester dating from 781, signed by Offa, King of Mercia, addressed from his royal palace at Tamworthie. Offa built what was described as a Royal palace at Tamworth, however this was about surely a timbre and thatch construction ( as were most buildings in Anglo-Saxon England ) which left little physical trace, and so the placement of Offa ‘s palace has never been identified, although excavations north of Bolebridge Street in 1968 revealed what appeared to be the delineate of a large Saxon build. between 790 and 850 Tamworth was the main location for the signature of Mercian royal charters. In 868 the Great Heathen Army invaded England and in 874 they drove out King Burgred, who fled to Rome. Tamworth was then a frontier town between Viking ruled east Mercia and Anglo-Saxon ruled west Mercia until 913, when Æthelflæd, Lady of the Mercians, made Tamworth her capital, and re-fortified the township against Viking attacks. [ 9 ] [ 10 ] [ a ] Æthelflæd led a successful military campaign to win bet on territory from the Danes, driving them back to their stronghold at Derby which was then captured. She died at Tamworth on 6 June 918. [ 15 ] During the reign of Æthelstan ( 924-939 ) the Kingdom enjoyed a period of proportional peace and prosperity. In Tamworth church in 926, a baby of King Æthelstan, possibly Saint Edith of Polesworth, was married to Sitric Cáech, the askance Norse King of York and Dublin. [ 16 ] [ 17 ] It was during this period that a mint was established at Tamworth producing silver coins, many stamped with the name of a local anesthetic coiner called Manna. many coins produced in Tamworth during this period have appeared in scandinavian museums, as much of it was used to pay Danegeld, a tribute paid in an try to buy off invading Vikings. This however prove bootless, as following Æthelstan ‘s death in 939, Tamworth was again looted and devastated by Viking invaders led by Sitric ‘s son Olaf ( subsequently called Amlaíb Cuarán ). It was soon cured and rebuilt by Æthelstan ‘s, successors, but Tamworth never regained its pre-eminence as a Royal kernel. [ 19 ] In the early tenth hundred the raw shires of Staffordshire and Warwickshire were created, and Tamworth was divided between them, with the county bound running through the town center along the streets of Gungate, Church Street, Silver Street and Holloway, with the castle on the Warwickshire side of the bound. The reason for this division was probably so that the town would be divided between the two individually administered Hundreds of Offlow and Hemlingford to ensure that sufficient work force would be available to man the town ‘s defences .
Norman and Medieval [edit ]
Following the Norman seduction of England in the eleventh hundred, the Normans built a big motte and bailey castle, the precursor of the present Tamworth Castle, partially on the site of the Saxon fortify which placid stands to this day. unusually Tamworth was n’t mentioned in the Domesday Book ; this may have been due to its division between two counties confusing the surveyors. From around 1093, the Marmion family became lords of the manor, and eight generations of Marmions inhabited Tamworth Castle until 1294. It was the Marmions who were largely responsible for building the stage sandstone garrison at Tamworth Castle, replacing the original wooden Norman structure. During the period of The Anarchy in the twelfth hundred, Robert Marmion supported King Steven in his battle with Empress Matilda. In the ensuing clamber, Tamworth Castle was taken and occupied by the forces of Matilda, but was returned to the Marmions when Steven ultimately prevailed in the war. In 1215 King John threatened to have Tamworth Castle destroyed, in revenge for the 3rd Baron Marmion ‘s digest for the baronial disgust against the King. however, this menace was not carried out. In the Middle Ages Tamworth was a small grocery store town. however, the king gave it charters in 1319. In 1337 Tamworth was granted the mighty to hold two annual fairs. In the Middle Ages fairs were like markets but they were held only once a year and they attracted buyers and sellers from capital distances. In 1345 Tamworth suffered a black displace, and much of the township burned. This was followed by the Black Death which arrived in England from 1348, which reduced the population by at least a third. however, the town finally recovered from these disasters .
16th and 17th centuries [edit ]
fagot Elizabeth I granted Tamworth another lease in 1560 confirming the town ‘s existing rights and privileges, and incorporating it as a unite borough with a single municipal pot. Prior to this there had been divide corporations for the Warwickshire and Staffordshire sides of the township. The chart enabled Tamworth to elect a representative to Parliament. Another rent was granted in 1588, further consolidating the town ‘s rights of self-government. Tamworth suffered from outbreaks of plague in 1563, 1579, 1606, and 1626. many died but each clock time the population recovered. [ 25 ] James I, the first Stuart king of England, visited Tamworth on three occasions, with his first gear travel to in 1619, and was accommodated by Sir John Ferrers at Tamworth Castle. The king was accompanied by Prince Charles ( the future king Charles I ), who was entertained by William Comberford at the Moat House. During the English Civil War from 1642, Tamworth Castle was initially garrisoned for the Royalists under William Comberford, however in June 1643 it was captured by a withdrawal of parliamentarian forces under the instruction of William Purefoy after a short two-day siege, and remained in parliamentarian hands for the remainder of the conflict, despite unsuccessful attempts by Royalists who controlled nearby Lichfield to recapture it. In 1646, a bombastic Parliamentarian force, backed by soldiers from Tamworth captured Lichfield after a four-month siege. After the conflict was all over, the castle was again threatened with destruction, when an rate was issued for it to be destroyed, but again this was not carried out. Tamworth continued to grow and remained one of the most populous towns in the Midlands by 1670, when the combined hearth tax returns from Warwickshire and Birmingham list a full of some 320 households. Its strategic trade advantage lay with control of the two critical packhorse bridges across the Anker and the Tame on the route from London to Chester. As today, a grocery store town, [ 26 ] it did a alert trade wind providing travellers with at least staple bread, ale and accommodation, maintaining trading links as far afield as Bristol. Charles II ‘s reconfirmation of its borough ‘s privileges in 1663 gave the township an add boost, as confirmed by Richard Blome ‘s [ who? ] description of its observe market, well served with corn, provisions and thin cattle. [ citation needed ]
18th and 19th centuries [edit ]
The township grew quickly in the 18th and 19th centuries during the Industrial Revolution, benefiting from the surrounding char mines. It besides became connected to the canal network, with the Coventry Canal being built through the town. The late eighteenth hundred saw foster improvements in the local transportation infrastructure, and the beginnings of industrialization : In 1770 the Tamworth Turnpike Trust was established, which set about making improvements to the roads in and around the town. In 1777 the Trent and Mersey Canal was completed, running to within a few miles of Tamworth. In 1790 the Coventry Canal was completed through Tamworth, linking Tamworth to the growing national canal network, a junction was soon made between this and the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal .
determine of the Peel family [edit ]
statue of The Right Honourable Sir Robert Peel Robert ‘parsley ‘ Peel ( 1723–1795 ) a Lancashire cotton mill owner was the inaugural member of the Peel family to become established in the area. Peel had become good known for producing textiles with a parsley leaf purpose, this led him to becoming known as ‘Parsley ‘ Peel. After his mills in Lancashire were damaged by riots, Peel moved his grind operations to Burton-on-Trent in Staffordshire in 1780, attracted in part due to the improving local anesthetic transportation systems. His son, Sir Robert Peel, 1st Baronet ( 1750–1830 ) played a major function in developing Tamworth ‘s economy, he established the first cotton mills in Tamworth in 1788, one of which, known as ‘Castle Mill ‘ was based in Tamworth Castle. Textiles soon became Tamworth ‘s main diligence. Peel besides established respective banks in Tamworth. Peel moved permanently from Lancashire, and set up home in Drayton Manor just outside Tamworth in the 1790s. He became the town ‘s Member of Parliament in 1790, and remained therefore until 1820. He used his parliamentary charm to improve the work conditions in factories. By far the most celebrated member of the Peel kin, was his son Sir Robert Peel, 2nd Baronet ( 1788–1850 ) who rose to become one of the most celebrated Prime Ministers of the priggish era, and served as the township ‘s Member of Parliament from 1830 until his death in 1850. He lived at the nearby Drayton Manor. It was in Tamworth that Robert Peel unveiled his Tamworth Manifesto in 1834 which created what is now the modern Conservative Party. While Home Secretary, Peel helped create the modern concept of the patrol force, leading to officers being known as “ bobbies ” or “ Peelers ”. Peel is commemorated in Tamworth by a statue in front of the town anteroom, which was produced by Matthew Noble in 1852 .
Improvements [edit ]
There were a number of improvements to Tamworth during the nineteenth century. In 1807 the pavements were flagged. 1809 A newly church entrance was completed and a new organ erected funded by populace subscriptions. ( reservoir attend 1809 Parish Records ). From 1835 Tamworth had gaslight. In the former nineteenth century a shriek water add was created. The railways arrived with the Midland Railway route from Derby to Birmingham arriving in Tamworth in 1847, and late the London and North Western Railway, which provided calculate trains to the capital. A split-level post exists where the two independent lines cross each another, the higher-level platforms ( on the Derby to Birmingham line ), being at right angles to the lower ones on the main lineage to London. The first municipal cemetery opened in 1876. The assembly Rooms were built in 1889. In 1897 the pot bought Tamworth Castle. A hospital was built in Tamworth in 1880 and was funded by one of the township ‘s greatest benefactors, William MacGregor, at his own expense. An hospital was built in 1903. MacGregor besides built two churches at Glascote and Hopwas and had the bells at St. Editha ‘s church recast. He besides started a free library, a working men ‘s golf club, a school ( now called William MacGregor School ) and started the Co-operative society [ 28 ] in the town in 1885 acting as guarantor. Tamworth was historically divided between Warwickshire and Staffordshire, with the county limit run along the town center. The boundary was re-drawn following the local Government Act 1888, which created county councils. The Act decreed that urban areas, such as Tamworth, which were situated in more than one county, should transfer wholly into the county which contained the larger part of the population at the 1881 census : In Tamworth ‘s sheath, the Staffordshire part of Tamworth Borough contained 2,589 people and the Warwickshire function, 2,032, consequently Tamworth became depart of Staffordshire from 1 April 1889. [ 29 ] [ 30 ] During the nineteenth century the Tamworth hog, a long-bodied, heavily bristled breed, was first sold here by cross-breeding pigs available locally with spell irish stock .
modern history [edit ]
The beginning council houses in Tamworth were built in 1900. More were built in the 1920s and 1930s and after 1945. The inaugural populace library in Tamworth was built in 1905. Tamworth gained an electricity provide in 1924 .
The A5 ( Thomas Guy Way ) passing through Tamworth, looking south from Glascote Tamworth grew quickly in the postwar years as it soaked up overspill from the West Midlands conurbation to the southwest. A population of about 7,000 in 1931 had risen to some 13,000 merely after the second World War ; this figure remained fairly static until the belated 1960s when a major expansion plan was implemented. Although not formally a “ New Town ”, Tamworth ‘s expansion resembled the development of many new towns. As separate of this plan the town boundaries were expanded to include the industrial area about Wilnecote to the south. The 1961 population of the newfangled exaggerated area was 25,000. In 1971 it was 40,000 ; in 1981, 64,000 ; in 1991, 68,000 and in 2001, 72,000, meaning that the township ‘s population had about doubled within 30 years .
MHV Reliant Scimitar GTE 01 The Reliant Motor Company was founded in Tamworth in 1935 [ 31 ] by T. L. Williams and E. S. Thompson, and cars such as the Scimitar four wheeled sports cars and the Robin three wheeled economy cars were manufactured here until the company moved to Cannock in 1998. A year late the old factory was razed to the ground and a newfangled caparison estate built in its rate called “ Scimitar Park ” with street names assuming names of Reliant vehicles ( e.g. Robin Close ). The A5 dual-carriageway Fazeley, Two Gates and Wilnecote Bypass opened in July 1995, acting both as a bypass of Watling Street, and as a debauched road for traffic into the town. This was further extended to meet the M6 Toll and A38 in 2005. The road ‘s official name is Thomas Guy Way. Tamworth has six designated local nature Reserves, Hodge Lane ( Amington ), Kettlebrook, Tameside, Dosthill Park, Warwickshire Moor and Broadmeadow, which became the newest nature reserve in April 2013. [ 32 ]
historic population [edit ]
* population figures based on current borough boundaries.
Tamworth township kernel seen from the castle
geography [edit ]
Tamworth is located at the confluence of the rivers Tame and Anker, which meet just south of the town center. Tamworth is on the southeastern tip of Staffordshire, with the Warwickshire boundary line merely 3 miles ( 4.8 kilometer ) east of the town center. The Derbyshire and Leicestershire borders are 6 miles ( 9.7 kilometer ) to the northeast. [ 35 ] Tamworth ‘s built-up area includes Fazeley which is to the southwest of Tamworth, on the antonym bank of the River Tame, Fazeley is not part of Tamworth borough, rather it is administered as part of the Lichfield District. The built-up area of Tamworth and Fazeley was recorded as having a population of 81,964 in the 2011 census. [ 36 ] Tamworth is 13 miles ( 21 kilometer ) northeast of Birmingham city center and 6 miles ( 9.7 kilometer ) from the Lichfield city center. other nearby places include Polesworth, Atherstone and Sutton Coldfield, with Nuneaton, Burton upon Trent, Walsall and Rugeley a spot far afield .
Suburbs [edit ]
A map of Tamworth and Fazeley Tamworth has a act of suburbs :
demography [edit ]
According to the 2011 census the borough has a population of 76,900. White British is the overriding ethnicity, then 97 % of the population. The second largest ethnicity is White Irish, making up 0.9 %. [ 37 ] 95 % of people in the borough were born in England, with Scotland ranking adjacent, with 1 % of the population. [ 38 ] Tamworth was in 2013 the most corpulence town in the UK with a 30.7 % fleshiness rate. [ 39 ]
Read more: Tetris Echalk – Apps Store
administration [edit ]
Logo of Tamworth Borough Council Tamworth Borough is administered by a Council which has been local Conservative Party-led since 2004 and was Labour Party-led from 1990 to 2004 with seven previous election outcome overall statuses since its 1974 origin, primarily involving those two parties. [ 40 ] At the last election, May 2016, the Conservative Party held political baron. The council is nowadays made up of 20 Conservatives, 7 Labour and 3 UKIP councillors. [ 41 ] No part of the borough has a civil parish. The current Mayor of Tamworth is Councillor Peter Thurgood. [ 42 ] On Staffordshire county council, Tamworth has six divisions, all of which are held by the Conservatives. [ 43 ] [ 44 ] Since 2011, Tamworth has formed contribution of the Greater Birmingham & Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership along with neighbor authorities Birmingham, Bromsgrove, Cannock Chase, East Staffordshire, Lichfield, Redditch, Solihull and Wyre Forest. Tamworth is besides a non-constituent member of the West Midlands Combined Authority. [ 45 ] The council retains a cabinet organization of administration, [ 46 ] the Leader of the council is Cllr Daniel Cook and the Deputy Leader is Cllr Robert Pritchard. [ 47 ]
Elections [edit ]
Tamworth Council elects by thirds meaning there is an election of 1 council member for each of the wards every year for three years but the fourth year see elections to Staffordshire County Council. [ 48 ] Councillors are elected for a four-year terminus. The borough is used as the starting point of the extent of the Westminster seat of Tamworth since 2010 represented by Christopher Pincher, a conservative. [ 49 ]
Health [edit ]
Tamworth has a minor hospital called Sir Robert Peel Hospital which is located in Mile Oak. The Sir Robert Peel Hospital has a minor Injuries Unit. [ 50 ] Tamworth is part of the South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation trust. [ 51 ]
religion [edit ]
St Editha ‘s church christendom is the largest religion in Tamworth, comprising 77 % of the population. 15 % are not religious. other religions include Hindu ( 177 ), Islam ( 127 ) and Sikhism ( 124 ) which make up 0.9 % of the population. [ 52 ]
church of England [edit ]
The parish church of Tamworth is the church of St Editha in the township center, which is one of the towns outstanding and oldest landmarks being a grade I listed building. [ citation needed ] Most of Tamworth is part of the Diocese of Lichfield, the two parishes being Tamworth and Wilnecote. however Amington is in the parish of Amington St. Editha which is depart of the Diocese of Birmingham .
Roman Catholicism [edit ]
Tamworth is in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Birmingham ; the chief Roman Catholic church service is St John the Baptist on St John Street in the town center, the other Roman Catholic church is hallowed Heart Church in Glascote .
culture [edit ]
scientific [edit ]
Sir Ernest William Titterton was born in Tamworth. He was a research policeman for the british Admiralty during World War II before becoming in 1943 a penis of the british mission to the U.S. to participate in the Manhattan Project which developed the atomic fail. He was knighted in 1970 .
music [edit ]
Phil Bates & Electric Light Orchestra Former The Teardrop Explodes frontman and solo artist/writer Julian Cope was raised in Tamworth and later lived in nearby Drayton Bassett. Cope recorded three alone albums during his Tamworth years, World Shut Your Mouth ( 1984 ), Fried ( 1984 ) and Saint Julian ( 1987 ), and all three used versatile locations around Tamworth for their sleeve art and several videos. The heavy rock band Wolfsbane cut their teeth in the township, before their leash singer Blaze Bayley went on to front the fabled Iron Maiden. Rock guitarist Clem Clempson was born in Tamworth. Bob Catley the lead singer of rock isthmus Magnum ( band ) besides lives in Tamworth. Guitarist/vocalist/songwriter/ manufacturer Phil Bates ( Trickster, ELO Pt2, Quill and solo artist ) was born in Tamworth, and played in local anesthetic bands the Teenbeats and Source of Power until moving away from the area in 1971. Phil distillery has strong kin and melodious connections with Tamworth. Amington Band are a traditional british brass section band based in their own band board. They have been based in the greenwich village of Amington since the 1910s
conveyance [edit ]
road [edit ]
The main road running through Tamworth is the A5 shunt. The M42 expressway runs to the east of Tamworth and the town is served by junction 10 which besides contains Tamworth services .
The egg Roundabout [edit ]
The Egg is a magic carousel in Tamworth, Staffordshire at its heart. The testis forms the articulation of the A51, A453 and A513 and terminates the B5000. It consists of the roads Ankerdrive and Bolebridge Street, and is listed as being separate of the A51. The egg has a cinema complex and restaurant in the center, and has the River Anker running through it. The Snowdome and Tamworth FC besides directly adjoin the articulation. The egg was voted the one-fourth worst circuitous in Britain in 2005. [ 53 ]
Railways [edit ]
Tamworth railway post located on Victoria Road serves the town. Tamworth Station is a high- and low-level station and serves as an exchange between the West Coast Mainline and the Cross Country Route. A smaller station called Wilnecote railway post on the Cross Country Route serves the suburb of Wilnecote and Two Gates .
airport [edit ]
The nearest airports to Tamworth are Birmingham and East Midlands .
Buses [edit ]
Bus services around the town are operated by Arriva Midlands North, Diamond Bus, Flexibus, and Stagecoach Midlands. Arriva and Stagecoach operating services to Atherstone and Nuneaton. [ 54 ] Arriva besides operates services 65 and X65 to Lichfield and service 110 to Birmingham via Fazeley, Sutton Coldfield and Erdington. [ 55 ] [ 56 ] There are besides buses that manoeuver on restrict timetables such as the bus service to Coleshill ( provided by Flexibus ) who only operate once a week on a thursday with one service each way. [ 57 ] [ 58 ] There is a Midland Classic serve to Rodbaston College from Bonehill from Monday-Friday for pupils and staff there entirely. deoxyadenosine monophosphate well as a National Express West Midlands avail from Wilnecote to Aldridge via Tamworth for St Francis College besides Monday-Friday. There are besides bus services connecting the town with its suburbs and to the newly built Mercia Park near Ashby-de-la-Zouch in Leicestershire. [ 59 ] [ 60 ]
canal [edit ]
The Coventry Canal runs through Tamworth ; at Fazeley Junction, just outside Tamworth, it joins the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal. At Fradley Junction a few miles northwest of Tamworth, the Coventry Canal joins the Trent and Mersey Canal .
Twin towns [edit ]
Tamworth ‘s town twins [ 61 ] are :
Blue plaques [edit ]
reliant Blue Plaque Tamworth presently has two diachronic blue plaques. The beginning is positioned on the old Bank House on Lady Bank by the Tamworth Civic Society and commemorates the Tamworth Savings Bank that was founded on 1823. More recently on 8 July 2017, [ 62 ] a blue brass was unveiled by Tamworth Heritage Trust and the Reliant Motor Club at Bro-Dawel on the Kettlebrook Road to honour Reliant ‘s founders, Mr T. L. Williams and Mr E. S. Thompson, and marks the birthplace of the inaugural Reliant prototype built in 1934 .
fun [edit ]
One of the more luminary personalities to come from Tamworth is former Manchester City goalkeeper Tony Coton, who made a act of appearances over the years. Tamworth F.C. has besides fielded a total of noteworthy players in late times, including West Brom legend Bob Taylor and, for one match in the 2005–06 season, former Aston Villa and Arsenal midfielder Paul Merson. Tamworth F.C. showed signs of build up, just surviving to get their one-third season in the Conference, playing teams such as Halifax Town, Oxford United & Kidderminster Harriers on a regular basis. The club besides has a keen competition with fellow Staffordshire club Stafford Rangers and Burton Albion. however, their biggest rivals are Nuneaton Town. In 2009, as winners of Conference North, Tamworth were promoted to the Conference Premier. other football players from Tamworth include goalkeeper Martin Taylor who played for Derby County and Wycombe Wanderers, and current Wales international Ashley Williams who plays for Everton in the Premier League. Leicester City football player Marc Albrighton is besides from Tamworth .
Bowls [edit ]
Tamworth Castle Bowling Club was founded in 1814 [ 63 ] it can boast Mayors and Prime ministers as past members. This crown green bowl club is situated behind a green door on Ladybank in the darkness of Tamworth Castle. The club is owned by its membership with a season running from March to October. Tamworth and District Indoor Bowling Club formally founded and opened in 1990. A fuel destroyed the Club just after it was primitively built delaying its unfold by about 12 months. This is the lone indoor bowling clubhouse in Staffordshire and with over 350 members it is actively involved at Club, County and National levels of competition. There is an active junior section with County representatives to under 25 old age group. Bowling for people with disabilities is a very important part of the club as is coaching for all players. Owned by its membership the club has an Outdoor green operating April to September whilst the Indoor rinks are open throughout the year. The club is in Eagle Drive, Amington, Tamworth just before the municipal Golf Course .
speedway [edit ]
Speedway racing took set in the Tamworth area in the 1930s and in the military post war earned run average featured at the Greyhound Stadium in Mile Oak. The Hounds started out in 1947 racing in the National League Division Three before becoming The Tammies in 1950 when the venture was purchased by Birmingham promoter Les Marshall .
Sports teams in Tamworth [edit ]
department of education [edit ]
There are five secondary schools in Tamworth, a one-sixth mannequin concentrate and a branch of South Staffordshire College along with 27 primary schools .
Media [edit ]
In 1868 The Tamworth Herald was launched by Daniel Addison, with its original premises in Silver Street. Mr Addison continued to publish the paper for nine years until 29 October 1877, when it was taken over by a consortium of leading townsmen. In modern day, the newspaper is owned by Reach Regionals Ltd, [ 64 ] a part of Reach PLC. [ 65 ] Its reporters besides contribute local news stories to the Birmingham Mail ‘s web site, Birmingham Live in addition to their mark based activities. In holocene years the print translation of Tamworth Herald has dwindled. The 2020 circulation figures from the Audit Bureau of Circulation show that for that class their circulation was just 4,723 a workweek. [ 66 ] The Tamworth Herald was crowned ‘ Newspaper of the Year ’ at the Midland Media Awards in both 2016 and 2017. Online news program for Tamworth is provided by Tamworth Informed, [ 67 ] an independently owned newsworthiness service which circulates news program articles via its web site and assorted social media platforms. The BBC Local Radio post covering Tamworth is BBC WM which has its studios in Birmingham. The town has its own community radio post, Radio Tamworth, which broadcasts on 106.8 FM. Tamworth lies in the BBC West Midlands and ITV Central television receiver regions .
In popular polish [edit ]
Tamworth appears in the 2020 video recording game Assassin ‘s Creed Valhalla as a Saxon fortress that the player can conquer .
celebrated people [edit ]
Politicians [edit ]
Sir Robert Peel
Public overhaul & commerce [edit ]
John Rawlet, 1687
The arts [edit ]
Clem Clempson, 2010 Emma Slater, 2013
sport [edit ]
Marc Albrighton, 2012
other [edit ]
- Thomas “Bomber” Kavanagh, Irish criminal and a senior member of the crime organisation founded by Christy Kinahan ran his criminal empire from Tamworth.
freedom of the Borough [edit ]
The follow people and military units have received the Freedom of the Borough of Tamworth .
Individuals [edit ]
- Alderman Frederick George Allton: 1951.
- Marc Kevin Albrighton: 17 May 2022.
[ 89 ]
military Units [edit ]
See besides [edit ]
Notes [edit ]
- ^ but this is not supported by historians of Anglo-Saxon England, and  popular histories state that the Vikings burn Tamworth in 874, but this is not supported by historians of Anglo-Saxon England, and Frank Stenton in his classic history of the period states that no details are known of the war which drove Burgred from his throne .
References [edit ]
bibliography [edit ]
- J. Gould, “The Medieval Burgesses of Tamworth: their Liberties, Courts and Markets”, Transactions of the South Staffordshire Archaeological Society, No. 13 (1971–72).
- Stone, Richard (2003). Tamworth: A History. Phillimore & Co. LTD. ISBN 1-86077-278-1.
Category : Uncategorized