Jeffrey B. Straubel at the german Electromobility Summit 2013 in Berlin Jeffrey Brian (“JB”) Straubel [ 2 ] ( digest December 20, 1975 ) is an american businessman. He spent 15 years at Tesla, [ 3 ] as headman technical officer until moving to an advisory character in July 2019. [ 4 ] In 2017, Straubel founded and became the CEO of Redwood Materials, Inc., working on the recycling of lithium-ion batteries and e-waste. [ 5 ]
Reading: J. B. Straubel – Wikipedia
education [edit ]
Straubel holds a bachelor of Science in energy systems engineering and a chief of Science in energy technology from Stanford University. [ citation needed ]
career [edit ]
Straubel joined Tesla as its fifth employee in 2004, [ 6 ] and is named as a co-founder. [ 7 ] He was its inaugural head technical military officer [ 3 ] until moving to an advisory function in July 2019. [ 4 ] At Tesla, Straubel led battery cell design, add chain and led the inaugural Gigafactory concept through the production ramp of the Model 3. He had a lead role in research and development, team build, and operational expansion from prototype cars through to mass production and expanding battery production to gigawatt-hour scale. Straubel besides had responsibility for new technology evaluation, technical due application review of cardinal vendors and partners, intellectual property, and systems validation testing. [ 8 ] In addition to his work at Tesla, Straubel was besides on the board of directors at SolarCity. As the solution of a court colony, Straubel is legally considered to be a co-founder of Tesla. [ 9 ] He was besides a lector at Stanford University for the 2015-2016 academic year, where he taught the energy storage integration classes ( CEE 176C & CEE 276C ) in the Atmosphere and Energy Program. [ 10 ] In 2017, Straubel established Redwood Materials, working on the recycle of lithium-ion batteries and e-waste. [ 11 ] prior to Tesla, Straubel was the CTO and co-founder of Volacom along with Harold Rosen. Volacom worked close with Burt Rutan at Scaled Composites to design a specialized high-level aircraft chopine using a novel hydrogen-powered electric world power plant. At Volacom, Straubel co-invented and patented a newly long-endurance hybrid propulsion concept that was late licensed to Boeing. [ 12 ] In the area of technical expertness, Straubel has consulted with venture capital firms Taproot Ventures and Kleiner Perkins, in accession to respective early individual fairness investors, to conduct technical ascribable diligence reviews for many start-ups in the energy and clean department of energy technologies class. Straubel is on the dining table of QuantumScape and besides consults with Amory Lovins at the Rocky Mountain Institute. [ 13 ] Although he did not in the first place intend to work in the car diligence, Straubel has long had a rage for electric vehicles. He built an electric Porsche 944 that earned the 240 V SC/B [ 14 ] earth electric vehicle race read in 2000. [ 15 ]
personal life [edit ]
On August 3, 2013, Straubel married Boryana Dineva and lived in Woodside, California. [ 16 ] In 2015 she gave parturition to twins. [ 17 ] When Straubel left as CTO at Tesla in July 2019, they moved to Nevada where Redwood Materials was located. [ 18 ] On June 19, 2021, Boryana was killed while cycling in a delegate bicycle lane in a rural area when a car crossed a double yellow note on Old Highway 395 in Washoe County, Nevada and hit her head-on. [ 19 ] The driver was unaccredited. [ 20 ] She had worked as a coach in homo resources at Tesla and was a vice president of the united states of human resources at the Wikimedia Foundation for one class. [ 21 ]
Public recognition [edit ]
His photograph was taken in July 2006 driving Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in the Tesla Roadster at its unveil in Santa Monica, California. [ 22 ] Popular Science magazine featured Straubel in a full-length article in April 2007. [ 23 ] In September 2007, Straubel spoke on an energy jury titled “ clean, Secure, and Efficient Energy ” at Stanford University along with former Secretary of State, George P. Shultz, where he emphasized the importance of education about climate change, and decreasing the CO2 intensity of our stream energy production methods. [ 24 ] [ 25 ] In early on 2008, Stanford Magazine featured Straubel ‘s function in growing the Stanford bearing at Tesla. [ 26 ] Straubel was honored to keynote the Stanford Alumni EDAY in July 2008. [ 27 ] besides in July 2008, Straubel spoke on a transportation system panel “ Progression Toward EVs ” at Plug In 2008. [ 28 ] In 2008, Straubel was named Innovator of the Year by MIT ‘s Technology Review in their annual TR35 innovators in the universe under the age of 35. [ 29 ] [ 30 ] He spoke at MIT ‘s Emtech conference on a empanel on greens transportation in Boston, MA in September 2008. [ 31 ] In March 2012, Straubel spoke at the DESIGN West conference, produced by UBM Electronics, at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose, CA. [ 32 ]
sequoia Materials [edit ]
sequoia Materials is a caller established in Nevada by Straubel in 2017, to recycle lithium-ion automotive battery packs on a big scale. As of August 2020, the party has been operating in stealth modality as the technologies and processes are developed to enable the company to begin operation in the early 2020s. [ 11 ] On August 29, 2020, Straubel was interviewed by The Wall Street Journal and revealed extra details : [ 33 ] [ 34 ]
- Redwood Materials is inventing sustainable materials by creating circular supply chains, turning waste into profit and solving the environmental impacts of new products before they happen.
- In 2019, Panasonic, Tesla’s battery partner, began a partnership with Redwood to reclaim the scrap it generates in making battery cells: all of the scrap coming from Panasonic’s side of the Nevada Tesla Gigafactory is now shipped to Redwood.
- In 2020, Redwood closed its first fundraising round with $40 million raised from Capricorn Investment Group and Breakthrough Energy Ventures, an environmental investment fund that includes Amazon.com Inc. founder Jeff Bezos and Microsoft Corp. co-founder Bill Gates.
- As part of Amazon’s continued commitment to The Climate Pledge, a $2 billion venture investment program to back companies building technologies, products and services that will help Amazon and other companies accelerate the path to net-zero carbon, received an investment. Redwood will be able to offer Amazon and other companies sustainable ways to recycle batteries, electronics and other end of life products through environmentally-sound processing and refining technologies that create a sustainable, circular supply chain. Redwood Materials will also help Amazon properly recycle EV and other lithium-ion batteries and e-waste from other parts of Amazon’s businesses and reuse their components.
- In July 2021, Redwood Materials had more than 130 employees.
- Straubel hopes that within 10 years recycling will bring the price of raw materials for lithium ion batteries down to about half of what it costs to mine virgin material.
In June 2021, Redwood announced plans to expand its Carson City, Nevada adeptness to 550,000 square feet. Plans were besides revealed to build another facility at the Tahoe-Reno Industrial Center and to recruit 500 more employees. [ 36 ]
Read more: Balamurali Ambati – Wikipedia
In July 2021, Redwood raised $ 775 million from investors and guess firms. Investment management group T. Rowe Price Associates led a Series C round of fund that included Goldman Sachs Asset Management, Baillie Gifford, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, Fidelity, Valor Equity Partners, Emerson Collective and Franklin Templeton. Capricorn ’ s Technology Impact Fund, Bill Gates ’ Breakthrough Energy Ventures and Amazon ’ mho Climate Pledge Fund besides returned to invest extra capital. [ 35 ]