Ringwood, Hampshire – Wikipedia

Town in Hampshire, England

human settlement in England
grocery store Place, Ringwood

church of St Peter and St Paul Old bridge over the River Avon eighteenth century Meeting House Ringwood brewery Ringwood is a market township in southwest Hampshire, England, located on the River Avon, cheeseparing to the New Forest, northeast of Bournemouth and southwest of Southampton. It was founded by the Anglo-Saxons, and has held a hebdomadally market since the Middle Ages .

history [edit ]

Ringwood is recorded in a charter of 961, in which King Edgar, gave 22 hides of land in Rimecuda to Abingdon Abbey. [ 3 ] The diagnose is besides recorded in the tenth century as Runcwuda and Rimucwuda. [ 4 ] The second element Wuda means a ‘wood ‘ ; Rimuc may be derived from Rima meaning ‘border, therefore “ border wood. ” [ 5 ] The appoint may refer to Ringwood ‘s position on the fringe of the New Forest, or on the border of Hampshire. [ 4 ] William Camden in 1607 gave a much more fanciful derivation, claiming that the original name was Regne-wood, the Regni being an ancient people of Britain. [ 6 ] [ 7 ] In the Domesday Book of 1086, Ringwood ( Rincvede ) had been appropriated by the Crown and all but six hides taken into the New Forest. [ 8 ] Prior to 1066 Ringwood had been held by Earl Tostig. [ 8 ] During the 12th and early 13th centuries Ringwood, like other manors of which John and Henry III had the immediate overlordship, frequently changed hands. [ 9 ] Thus it was held by Roland de Dinan, a Breton lord, in 1167 ; Robert de Beaumont, 4th Earl of Leicester before 1204 ; Theodoric the Teuton, a servant of King John, after 1204 ; William Marshal, 2nd Earl of Pembroke, in 1217, and intermittently by the one-third and fourth Earls up to 1237 ; Simon de Steyland, the King ‘s clerk, around 1237 ; John son of Geoffrey, described as “ of the lands of the Bretons ”, from 1240 ; Nicholas of Ely, Bishop of Winchester, from about 1272 ; and then by three consecutive queens : Queen Eleanor, Queen Margaret, and Queen Isabella, from 1280 until 1331. [ 9 ] In January 1331, Ringwood and other manors which Isabella had previously surrendered were granted to William Montagu, 1st Earl of Salisbury, whose descendants with some pause held it for more than two centuries, until the death of Margaret Pole, Countess of Salisbury in 1541. [ 9 ] It was held by Edward Seymour, 1st Duke of Somerset until his execution in 1552, and then concisely by John Gates who was executed in 1553. [ 9 ] Queen Mary granted the lands to Francis Hastings, 2nd Earl of Huntingdon, but by the middle of the seventeenth century the manor had passed to the Arundells of Wardour, and in 1728 was in the hands of Henry Arundell, 6th Baron Arundell of Wardour. [ 9 ] His grandson, the eighth Baron, sold it in 1794 to John Morant of Brockenhurst, and the Morant family held the manor throughout the nineteenth century. [ 9 ] In 1108, it was recorded that the tenants of the “ manor of Ringwood and Harbridge “ had common rights in the New Forest, among the knights and esquires, for their farm beasts and plow beasts between “ Teg att Brokelisford ” and “ Ostaven ” and in the vill of Beaulieu for all their livestock except goats and geese : for this they paid the King an annual agistment. [ 9 ] A evaluation of the manor made at the end of the thirteenth hundred records the tenants services included mowing the godhead ‘s hayfield, haymaking on eight acres in “ Muchelmershe, ” carting the hay and making a rick ; they were to repair the mills and the houses within the motor hotel. [ 9 ] A mill in Ringwood is mentioned in the Domesday Book and late there were two. [ 9 ] In March 1226 Henry III granted a hebdomadally market in Ringwood on Wednesdays to Richard Marshal, 3rd Earl of Pembroke and Gervaise his wife to hold until the King should come of age. [ 9 ] In 1337 the Earl of Salisbury, as lord of Ringwood Manor, was granted a annual honest on the feast-day of Saint Andrew ( 30 November ). [ 9 ] There was besides another honest held on the fete of Saint Peter ( 29 June ) in the sixteenth century. [ 9 ] After the Battle of Sedgemoor on 6 July 1685, James Scott, 1st Duke of Monmouth was arrested near Horton, Dorset. Monmouth is believed to have hidden in a ditch under an ash tree disguised as a shepherd, but was betrayed by a local anesthetic womanhood who, according to caption, former killed herself in compunction. Monmouth was then taken to the house now named Monmouth House in West Street ( between the Market Place and the Fish Inn ). It was there that he wrote a letter to James II begging forgiveness. This was not granted, and he was brought to trial in the Tower of London by the ill-famed “ Hanging Judge Jefferies “. besides after the Battle of Sedgemoor, an aged local lady, Alice Lisle, gave refuge to two wanted men who were escaping the conflict. When her home, Moyles Court, ( now a individual school — Moyles Court School ) was raided, the men were found and Alice was arrested. She was sentenced by the same Judge Jefferies to be burned at the post ; she received a former reprieve, and the sentence was reduced to decapitate. She is buried at St Mary ‘s Church, Ellingham, one nautical mile from her Moyles Court home. Her grave can be found to the right of the church entrance ; it is easily spotted as the lid has been left bare with harsh edges. There is now a public house called the Alice Lisle near Moyles Court. The Town Hall was erected by John Morant in 1868. [ 9 ] The town was celebrated in the nineteenth century for its “ Ringwood ” wool gloves, and there was besides a large linen collar and cuff factory here. [ 9 ] The site of Royal Air Force Station Ibsley, in function during World War II, is located on the outskirts of the Ringwood village of Poulner. This site has late been used for motor-racing as Ibsley Circuit and nowadays is a quarry lake area .

Read more:   Toronto - Wikipedia

geography [edit ]

Ringwood is a town on the east bank of the River Avon in Hampshire. The parish includes the hamlets of Poulner, Hangersley, Hightown, Crow, Kingston, and Bisterne .

economy [edit ]

Ringwood has a hebdomadally marketplace in the traditional market station. A cattle marketplace ran until 1989 in the Furlong, which is now home to a Waitrose supermarket, coffee shops and fashion outlets. Ringwood was noted as the second most expensive marketplace town in England in July 2008 with average property prices of over £380,000. [ 10 ] Ringwood is the base of the Ringwood Brewery, which produces a diverseness of barrel ales and runs five pubs in the local anesthetic area, such as the Inn on the Furlong in Ringwood. Ringwood brewery besides produces a diverseness of wines. It was recently taken over by Marston ‘s Brewery, who plan to keep the brewery and all its brands, but lease out its connect populace houses .

Politics [edit ]

Ringwood is within the New Forest West parliamentary constituency. The current Member of Parliament ( MP ) is Sir Desmond Swayne who represents the Conservative Party. Ringwood is represented by one council member on Hampshire County Council and five councillors on New Forest District Council. All of these are presently held by the Conservative Party.

Read more:   Top 2 Chiropractic Schools in Texas in 2022 - Best Value Schools

Read more: History of Research Ethics | Research Services | University of Missouri – Kansas City

Ringwood Town Council formed in 1974 and serves an calculate 14,000 people. The town is divided into three wards. The Councillors elect a Mayor every two years who is besides the Chairman of the council. The current Mayor of Ringwood is Tony Ring. [ 11 ] The Council, which is elected every four years, has 14 councillors : nine Conservative Party, three Labour and two Independent. Ringwood Town Council provide a variety of services and amenities for the town, including allotments, the cemetery, diversion grounds [ 12 ] some public open spaces, the run of events, and a youth service. [ 13 ] The council is based in the Ringwood Gateway build on The Furlong in the town center. Ringwood was the birthplace of british communist drawing card and anti-fascist Bill Alexander, who was introduce at the Battle of Cable Street and commanded the british Battalion near the end of the spanish Civil War .

education [edit ]

The senior school is Ringwood School, a national teaching academy. The state primary coil schools are Ringwood Junior, Poulner Junior, Ringwood CofE Infants and Poulner Infants. There is besides a Waldorf school, the Ringwood Waldorf School a centre for Steiner Education for ages 3 to 18 years with around 260 pupils. The Ringwood Waldorf school is near a Camphill community. Ringwood besides has an freelancer 3–16-day and board educate called Moyles Court School .

Read more:   Home Telephone Headsets P251 Mono VT Headset for Avaya Nortel NEC Aspire Mitel Toshiba Polycom Commander Headset

Sport and leisure [edit ]

Ringwood has a Non-League football club Ringwood Town F.C., which plays at Long Lane. Ringwood is home to Ellingham and Ringwood Rugby Club who play at Parsonage Barn Lane. They run 3 elder sides, a women ‘s side and all mini and junior ages. There are besides two Cricket clubs, Ringwood Cricket Club who play at Carvers Recreation Ground and Ellingham Cricket Club who play at Picket Post. Speedway has been staged at nearby Matchams Park. The team, known as the Ringwood Turfs, featured in the Southern Area League in the mid-1950s. There is besides a long-standing and active Judo club Ringwood has a Sailing Club, the Spinnaker Club, based on Blashford Lake in Ivy Lane, about 1 mile north from the town center. A number of academic institutions ( 3 Universities, 3 Schools ) and Sailability are affiliated. The club has a race program for several classes of sailing dinghy, for adults and children, and a broadcast for training for versatile levels of competence and experience. many sailors from this Club have had backing achiever, nationally and internationally, and the club has been successful in Teams Sailing, winning the National Champs, and The british Open many times. [ citation needed ] Millstream Model Centre & Raceway is the UK ‘s largest slotcar racing center .

transport [edit ]

road [edit ]

The independent road through Ringwood is the A31, which runs west to Dorchester and east to Southampton via the New Forest. A bypass of the town was completed in two stages ; the beginning to the west in the 1940s [ 14 ] and the moment to the east in 1975. [ 15 ] The other significant road is the A338, which goes north to Salisbury and south to Bournemouth .

rail [edit ]

Ringwood railroad track post opened in 1847. It lay on the Southampton and Dorchester Railway. In 1862 the Ringwood, Christchurch and Bournemouth Railway created a new link with Christchurch. The line to Christchurch was closed in 1935, and the station ceased operational when the Southampton and Dorchester Railway line was closed in 1964. A report ( Connecting Communities : Expanding Access to the Rail Network ) from the Association of Train Operating Companies in 2009 recommended rebuilding contribution of the argumentation from Brockenhurst to Ringwood. [ 16 ]

church of St Peter and St Paul [edit ]

A church in Ringwood is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. [ 9 ] It was rebuilt in the thirteenth hundred and survived until 1853, when it was wholly knocked down and rebuilt. [ 9 ] The church contains a 15th-century monumental brass of John Prophete, Dean of Hereford and York. [ 9 ]

Filming placement [edit ]

The swim pool, sports hall and exterior scenes of the BBC television drollery series The Brittas Empire were filmed at Ringwood Health and Leisure Centre, at the time known as Ringwood Recreation Centre .

Areas [edit ]


References [edit ]

source : https://shayski.com
Category : Uncategorized

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button