The Vampire Diaries is an american supernatural adolescent drama television serial developed by Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec, based on the book serial of the same name written by L. J. Smith. The serial premiered on The CW on September 10, 2009, and concluded on March 10, 2017, having aired 171 episodes over eight seasons. The fly episode attracted the largest hearing for The CW of any series premier since the network began in 2006 ; [ 1 ] the first temper averaged 3.60 million viewers. [ 2 ] It became the most-watched series on the network before being supplanted by Arrow. The express has received numerous prize nominations, winning four People ‘s Choice Award and many Teen Choice Awards.
Reading: The Vampire Diaries – Wikipedia
In April 2015, precede actress Nina Dobrev, who played Elena Gilbert, confirmed that she would be leaving the show after its sixth temper. Dobrev returned to record a voiceover for the seventh-season finale and returned as a guest star in the series stopping point. [ 3 ] In March 2016, The CW renewed the series for an eighth season, [ 4 ] but in July of that year announced that the eighth season, consisting of 16 episodes, would be the read ‘s final. [ 5 ] The final examination temper began airing on October 21, 2016, and ended March 10, 2017. The concepts and characters developed in the series served to launch a media franchise that includes other television series, web series, novels and comic books. The television series The Originals, which besides aired on The CW, was the inaugural major entrance in this collection of connected works .
The series is set in the fictional town of Mystic Falls, Virginia, a town charged with supernatural history. It follows the life of Elena Gilbert ( Nina Dobrev ), a adolescent girlfriend who has good lost both parents in a car accident, as she falls in beloved with a 162-year-old vampire named Stefan Salvatore ( Paul Wesley ). Their relationship becomes increasingly complicated as Stefan ‘s cryptic older brother Damon Salvatore ( Ian Somerhalder ) returns, with a design to bring back their past love Katherine Pierce ( besides played by Dobrev ), a vampire who looks precisely like Elena. Although Damon initially harbors a stew against his brother for forcing him to become a vampire, he late reconciles with Stefan and falls in love with Elena, creating a beloved triangle among the three. Both brothers attempt to protect Elena as they face assorted villains and threats to their township, including Katherine. The brothers ‘ history and the township ‘s mythology are revealed through flashbacks as the series goes on. Additional storylines revolve around the other inhabitants of the town, most notably Elena ‘s younger brother Jeremy Gilbert ( Steven R. McQueen ) and aunt Jenna Sommers ( Sara Canning ), her best friends Bonnie Bennett ( Kat Graham ) and Caroline Forbes ( Candice King ), their common friends Matt Donovan ( Zach Roerig ) and Tyler Lockwood ( Michael Trevino ), Matt ‘s older sister Vicki Donovan ( Kayla Ewell ), and their history teacher, vampire hunter Alaric Saltzman ( Matthew Davis ). The town ‘s politics are orchestrated by descendants of the original establish families, all comprising a “ Founders ‘ Council ”. They guard the town chiefly from vampires and other supernatural threats such as werewolves, witches, hybrids, and ghosts .
Cast and characters
- Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert (season 1–6; guest season 8), a young orphan who falls in love with vampire Stefan Salvatore and later his brother, Damon, creating a love triangle. When Stefan shuts his humanity off after being blackmailed by Klaus, Damon is given the opportunity to grow closer to Elena. This results in her being further drawn into the supernatural world and results in her struggling to survive supernatural events in the town. In the sixth-season finale, Elena’s life was tied to Bonnie’s in such a way that as long as Bonnie is alive, Elena will remain asleep. Damon put Elena in a coffin and had her hidden in a warehouse in Brooklyn for the next 60 years or so while he waits for her to wake up. In the series finale, Elena’s curse is broken, she reunites with Damon and they live a long and happy life together with her becoming a doctor.
- Dobrev also portrays Elena’s doppelgänger, Katerina Petrova, also known as Katherine Pierce. Dobrev sporadically appeared as Katherine in subsequent seasons, with Katherine playing a significant role in the fifth season.
- Dobrev also plays the progenitor of the Petrova doppelgängers and Silas’s true love, Amara, during the fifth season, whom he had sought in the afterlife for two thousand years.
- Paul Wesley as Stefan Salvatore, a good-hearted and affectionate vampire and the complete opposite of his older brother, Damon Salvatore. Later in the series, Stefan reverts to his old ways as a Ripper to save Damon from a werewolf bite. His role becomes more antagonistic, after being forced to turn his humanity off. Eventually, he returns to his good-hearted and caring self and reconciles with Elena, but the relationship doesn’t last long. He becomes human again and marries Caroline in the eighth season and is killed afterwards in the series finale as he sacrifices himself to save Mystic Falls.
- Wesley also portrays his revealed doppelgänger, Silas, the world’s first immortal being, in the fourth and fifth seasons.
- Wesley also played another doppelgänger, Tom Avery, during the fifth season.
- Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore, Stefan’s malevolent vampire brother. He is mostly thought of as selfish and manipulative, but later on begins to display a more caring side. Though his love for Elena is initially one-sided, she begins to develop feelings for him as they work together to save Stefan after he’s given in to his Ripper side. They begin dating in the fourth season, after Elena transitions into a vampire, and continue to date (with some breakups along the way) until a now human Elena is put into her deep sleep at the end of the sixth season. They reunite in the series finale when Elena wakes up from the sleeping spell. Throughout the series, Damon is able to repair his relationship with Stefan and becomes best friends with Alaric and Bonnie.
- Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert (seasons 1–6; guest season 8), Elena’s younger brother, later revealed to be her biological cousin. He later becomes a member of The Five, a vampire hunting group. Jeremy is killed in the fourth season after Katherine throws him onto Silas, who drains his blood. He is resurrected by Bonnie Bennett, his love interest, in the fourth-season finale. In the sixth season, he leaves Mystic Falls to hunt vampires, unbeknownst to everyone other than Alaric.
- Sara Canning as Jenna Sommers (seasons 1–2; guest seasons 3, 5 & 8), Elena and Jeremy’s aunt and legal guardian. Canning left the show after season two when Jenna was killed after being turned into a vampire and used for Klaus’ ritual.
- Kat Graham as Bonnie Bennett, Elena and Caroline’s best friend and a very powerful witch. She has died numerous times but always found a way to return. She develops and controls her powers with the help of her grandmother, Sheila or “Grams”, another witch in the family. She is often able to use her magic to help the group, and while she initially hates vampires, particularly Damon, she ends up warming up to them and becomes Damon’s best friend after being stuck in a prison world with him for four months. Bonnie has lost and regained her ability to do magic multiple times throughout the show. She spent the second through fifth seasons in an on-again, off-again relationship with Elena’s brother Jeremy and later became involved with Enzo. In the seventh season, Bonnie faces the challenge of having received Rayna Cruz’s hunters’ curse, which puts all her vampire friends at risk. In the series finale, Bonnie breaks the sleeping spell on Elena and leaves Mystic Falls to travel the world while a deceased Enzo watches over her from the afterlife.
- Candice King as Caroline Forbes, Elena and Bonnie’s best friend, who was insecure and often jealous of Elena at first, but after becoming a vampire in the second season becomes more caring and sympathetic. Neurotic but lovable, Caroline has been the love interest of many of the male characters. Initially serving as Damon’s plaything in the first season, which she still hates him for, she has had serious relationships with Matt, Tyler, Alaric, and Stefan, and was long the subject of Klaus’s adoration. She married Stefan shortly before his death in the eighth season and repaired her relationship with Damon. Currently, she is raising twins with Alaric.
- Zach Roerig as Matt Donovan, Vicki’s younger brother and Elena’s childhood friend and ex-boyfriend, who became romantically involved with Caroline in the first season. They remain good friends even after breaking up during the second season. Matt wants no part in the supernatural events in his town and later is at odds with the vampires as he becomes a police officer and tries to protect the town from them. He becomes the sheriff in the eighth season and plans to run for mayor.
- Kayla Ewell as Vicki Donovan (season 1; recurring seasons 3 & 8; guest seasons 2 & 5), the drug-addicted older sister of Matt. She appears to be dating Tyler but is also interested in Jeremy. She is turned into a vampire by Damon and is killed by Stefan shortly after. Following the destruction of the Other Side, the supernatural limbo where she resided after her death, Vicki was sent to Hell. She reappears in the series finale where she rings the Maxwell bell 12 times and calls upon hellfire, which destroys Hell. Vicki later finds peace with Tyler in the afterlife and watches over Matt. Ewell left the show after the first season but has appeared as a guest in multiple seasons since.
- Michael Trevino as Tyler Lockwood (seasons 1–6; guest seasons 7–8), a werewolf, later turned into a hybrid, Matt’s best friend, and the son of the mayor of Mystic Falls. His family carry a lycanthropic trait, being descended from an ancient werewolf clan. His uncle Mason was also a werewolf, who was killed by Damon in the second season. He was turned into the first successful hybrid by Klaus. In the fifth-season finale, he is returned to being just a human. He reactivates his werewolf gene and leaves town at the end of the sixth season. He appears in a couple episodes of the seventh season, protecting Elena’s coffin. He is killed by a humanity-less Damon in the eighth season. Tyler finds peace in the afterlife with Vicki and watches over Matt.
- Matt Davis as Alaric Saltzman (seasons 1–3, 6–8; guest seasons 4–5), a history teacher, vampire hunter, and Jenna’s love interest. Davis left the show at the end of season three after Alaric was killed. His character returned as a regular from the sixth season onwards, after he was resurrected in the fifth season. His vampirism is stripped away by magic, turning him into a human again after being saved by Josette Laughlin; the two begin dating. Jo becomes pregnant and they plan to marry, but she is murdered by her brother Malachai at their wedding. The Gemini coven, Jo’s witch family, was able to transfer the babies to Caroline’s womb; she gives birth to their twins. Caroline and Alaric move to Dallas together and begin a relationship, but end it when Caroline decides to be with Stefan after his return at the end of the seventh season. Alaric establishes a boarding school with Caroline for supernatural teens at the end of the series.
- Joseph Morgan as Klaus Mikaelson (seasons 3–4, recurring season 2; guest seasons 5 & 7), the Original Hybrid, who begins to build an army of new “hybrids”, which are half vampire and half werewolf. During the third season, Klaus began to develop feelings for Caroline and falls in love with her. Morgan left the show after the fourth season when Klaus moved to New Orleans on his own family’s spin-off, The Originals.
- Michael Malarkey as Enzo St. John (seasons 6–8; recurring season 5), a vampire formerly under the imprisonment of the Augustine society. He was Damon Salvatore’s cellmate back in the 1950s when the latter was captured by the Augustines. He and Damon revived their friendship as he searched for his lost lover, Maggie. In the fifth-season episode “Man on Fire”, Enzo shut off his humanity after finding out the truth about Maggie’s death and is later killed by Stefan, having his heart ripped out. He was resurrected in the fifth-season finale, and later becomes Bonnie’s love interest before coming under the control of the monster in the vault at the end of the seventh season. He is killed by a humanity-less Stefan in the eighth season and watches over Bonnie in the afterlife.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||22||September 10, 2009 ( )||May 13, 2010 (
|2||22||September 9, 2010 ( )||May 12, 2011 (
|3||22||September 15, 2011 ( )||May 10, 2012 (
|4||23||October 11, 2012 ( )||May 16, 2013 (
|5||22||October 3, 2013 ( )||May 15, 2014 (
|6||22||October 2, 2014 ( )||May 14, 2015 (
|7||22||October 8, 2015 ( )||May 13, 2016 (
|8||16||October 21, 2016 ( )||March 10, 2017 (
initially, Kevin Williamson had little interest in developing the series, as he found the precede besides like to the Twilight novels. however, at the recommend of Julie Plec, he began to read the books. He started to become intrigued by the fib : “ I began to realize that it was a fib about a small town, about that town ‘s underbelly and about what lurks under the come on. ” [ 19 ] Williamson has stated the town ‘s fib will be the independent focus of the series rather than eminent school. [ 20 ] On February 6, 2009, Variety announced that The CW had green-lit the navigate for The Vampire Diaries with Williamson and Julie Plec set as the head writers and administrator producers. [ 21 ] On May 19, 2009, the serial was officially ordered for the 2009–2010 temper. [ 22 ]
The pilot program episode was filmed in Vancouver, British Columbia. however, the remainder of the seasons have been filmed in Covington, Georgia ( which doubles as the show ‘s fabricated little town of Mystic Falls, Virginia ) and versatile other communities around Greater Atlanta [ 23 ] to take advantage of local tax incentives. On the morning of May 10, 2012, a ardor broke out in the build on Clark Street in Covington that was used as the specify for Mystic Grill on the show. [ 24 ] The series was given a full 22-episode order on October 21, 2009, after firm ratings for the first half of the season. nowadays there is a by-product called The Originals, that goes into astuteness about the original vampire family from The Vampire Diaries. [ 25 ] On February 16, 2010, The CW announced that it had renewed the prove for a second temper, [ 26 ] which premiered on September 9, 2010. On April 26, 2011, The CW renewed the show for a third temper. [ 28 ] The one-third season premiered on September 15, 2011. The fourth season premiered on October 11, 2012. The CW renewed the show for a fifth season on February 11, 2013. [ 30 ] On February 13, 2014, The CW renewed the serial for a sixth season. [ 31 ] On January 11, 2015, the CW renewed the serial for a seventh season. On April 6, 2015, lead actress Nina Dobrev confirmed that she and co-star Michael Trevino ( who plays Tyler Lockwood ) would be leaving the usher after its sixth temper. Dobrev returned to record a voiceover for the seventh-season stopping point and returned as a guest star in the series stopping point. [ 3 ] Trevino appeared as a node star in the seventh and eighth seasons. [ 32 ] [ 33 ] On March 11, 2016, The CW renewed the series for an one-eighth season, [ 34 ] but on July 23, 2016, announced that the eighth season, consisting of 16 episodes, would be the prove ‘s last. [ 5 ] The concluding season began airing on October 21, 2016 and ended March 10, 2017. President of The CW, Mark Pedowitz, said in an consultation at the summer TCA ‘s that The Vampire Diaries did n’t receive an extra episode ordain for the second season at the request of Kevin Williamson. Kevin Williamson felt to do the best prove possible ; he would rather do 22 episodes. “ I ‘d preferably have a great 22 than a good 24 if Kevin could n’t do it, ” he explained. [ 35 ] The writers first met for the fifth temper on April 15, 2013. Filming began on July 10, 2013, and finished on April 10, 2014. On July 23, 2016, it was announced that the appearance would end after a 16-episode eighth season. [ 36 ]
The Vampire Diaries initially received mix reviews, which through the course of the show, improved significantly. Metacritic gave the show a score of 57 ( out of 100 ) based on reviews from 31 critics, indicating “ desegregate or average reviews ”. [ 38 ] Entertainment Weekly gave the pilot program a B+, declaring that the show “ signals a welcome return to form for writer-producer Kevin Williamson. ” Reviewer, Ken Tucker, ended his recapitulation by writing that “ Diaries promises us a season of sharp-tongued amusement. ” [ 47 ] Linda Stasi of the New York Post gave the premier a perfective score, saying that she was “ hooked after one episode ”. Stasi praised the tempo of the sequence and the “ barbarous, bloody vamp action, ” which “ starts in the unfold scene and continues throughout The Vampire Diaries with such ferocity and accelerate that it ‘s in truth chilling. ” [ 48 ] Conversely, San Francisco Chronicle ‘s Tim Goodman, gave the sequence a highly critical review, calling the series “ frightful ”. Goodman disliked the dialogue and hoped that the extras on Buffy the Vampire Slayer would “ return en masse to eat the frame of Vampire Diaries, plus any remaining scripts. ” [ 49 ] many television critics felt the series improved with each sequence. Sarah Hughes of The Independent says The Vampire Diaries turns into “ a well-crafted, interestingly develop serial ” despite a average open sequence. [ 19 ] The New York Post besides praised the portrayal of Elena, finding the character to be a strong-minded womanhood who did not allow her feelings for her boyfriend to control her. [ 50 ] Karla Peterson of The San Diego Union-Tribune said that “ the supernatural drama is a excellent production, featuring an madly gorgeous frame, sharp scripts, and a brood vibration that is hard for even the most healthy adult to resist. ” [ 51 ] Mike Hale of The New York Times gave the series an honest mention on his list of the clear television shows of 2009. [ 52 ] The usher ‘s second season opened to favorable reviews. On Metacritic, it has a score of 78 ( out of 100 ) based on reviews from 5 critics, indicating “ broadly friendly reviews ”. [ 40 ] As the serial progressed and developed into the third season, critics praised the portrayals of the independent characters and the growth of the female characters such as Elena Gilbert played by Nina Dobrev, Bonnie Bennett played by Kat Graham, and Caroline Forbes played by Candice King. The third-season finale, “ The Departed “, received critical acclaim. Diana Steenbergen of IGN praised the episode and the writers for clearing up a couple of storylines and making all of them come to ahead. She besides praised Dobrev ‘s operation in this episode, addressing her demeanor as another reason the final examination disclosure from Meredith was more shock and credible. similarly, Mandi Bierly of Entertainment Weekly review praised the writer ‘s skills in creating a more unexpected final eddy. [ 53 ]
The series premier of The Vampire Diaries on September 11, 2009, was The CW ‘s biggest ever at the time, amassing 4.91 million viewers. [ 54 ] Adding in DVR numbers, the ratings for the premier swelled to an official 5.7 million viewers. [ 55 ] In 2016, a New York Times analyze of the 50 television receiver shows with the most Facebook Likes found that “ as with several early shows that focus on the supernatural, ” The Vampire Diaries was “ slenderly more democratic outside of cities. That said, the prove ‘s fandom has the smallest amount of spatial mutant of all 50 shows ”. [ 56 ] The comply is a table for the seasonal rankings based on average total estimate viewers per episode of The Vampire Diaries. “ Rank ” refers to how The Vampire Diaries rated compared to the other television series, which aired during prime time hours .
|Season||Timeslot (ET)||Episodes||First aired||Last aired||TV season||Viewership
|1||Thursday 8:00pm||22||September 10, 2009||4.91||May 13, 2010||3.47||2009–10||116||3.60|
|2||22||September 9, 2010||3.36||May 12, 2011||2.86||2010–11||193||3.17|
|3||22||September 15, 2011||3.10||May 10, 2012||2.53||2011–12||166||2.91|
|4||23||October 11, 2012||3.18||May 16, 2013||2.24||2012–13||133||2.97|
|5||22||October 3, 2013||2.59||May 15, 2014||1.61||2013–14||147||2.68|
|6||22||October 2, 2014||1.81||May 16, 2015||1.44||2014–15||160||1.54|
|7||Thursday 8:00pm ( 1–9 )
Friday 8:00pm ( 10–22 )
|22||October 8, 2015||1.38||May 13, 2016||1.04||2015–16||141||1.95|
|8||Friday 8:00pm||16||October 21, 2016||0.98||March 10, 2017||1.15||2016–17||140||1.71|
home media releases
Season one was released on DVD in Regions 1, 2, and 4. besides, on Blu-ray in Regions A and B. Both United States versions include comment by cast and crew members on selected episodes, deleted scenes, sub-rosa featurettes, webisodes, and a downloadable audiobook of L.J. Smith ‘s The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening. [ 79 ] It was released on DVD in Region 2 on August 23, 2010. [ 80 ] Following that let go of, Region 1 began selling DVDs on August 31, 2010, [ 79 ] and Region 3 on September 1, 2010. [ 81 ] In Region A, it was released on Blu-ray on August 31, 2010. [ 82 ] [ 83 ] Region B ‘s releases varied ; the United Kingdom on August 23, 2010, [ 84 ] Brazil on August 26, 2010, [ 85 ] and Australia on September 1, 2010. [ 86 ] The Vampire Diaries Season 2 will be available on DVD and Blu-ray on August 30, 2011. [ 87 ] Region B ‘s releases varied ; the United Kingdom on August 22, 2011, [ 88 ] Brazil on August 25, 2011. The Vampire Diaries: Season 3 will be available on DVD and Blu-ray on September 11 and A and on September 5, 2012, for Regions 4 and B. [ 89 ] [ 90 ] [ 91 ] The Vampire Diaries: Season 4 is available on DVD and Blu-ray in A as of September 15, 2013. In Japan, the fourthly season was released in a particular collection, including bonuses not available elsewhere. Included in the collection are an ankle bracelet, promotional double cards, and a booklet about the form. [ 92 ]
Former president of entertainment at The CW, Dawn Ostroff, mentioned a by-product estimate in 2010 that she said could happen in a few years. [ 164 ] A by-product was in development for the 2011 fall line-up, but due to Kevin Williamson ‘s commitment to The Secret Circle, it was put on accommodate indefinitely. [ 165 ]
Logo of The Originals On January 11, 2013, it was announced that a back-door fender focused on The Originals, starring Joseph Morgan as Klaus titled The Originals would air on April 25 for a potential series pick-up for the 2013–2014 season. [ 166 ] This moment by-product attempt was carried out by Julie Plec with no interest by Kevin Williamson. [ 167 ] On April 26, 2013, The CW announced that The Originals had been ordered to the serial premiere in the 2013–14 television season. [ 168 ] The Originals premiered on October 3, 2013. Daniel Gillies as Elijah, Claire Holt as Rebekah, and Phoebe Tonkin as Hayley will besides continue to play their characters, primitively from The Vampire Diaries, in the new by-product series. [ 169 ] The Originals is about the Mikaelson siblings, who are the original class of vampires, and their take-over of the french Quarter of New Orleans. The indicate besides involves Hayley and Klaus ‘s daughter, Hope. Producers reported that there would be a transition of the characters in both serial. Claire Holt made a special cameo in The Vampire Diaries, in the episodes “ I Know What You Did last Summer “ [ 170 ] and “ 500 Years of Solitude “. [ 171 ] Michael Trevino made a especial cameo on episodes of The Originals, “ Bloodletting ” and “ The River In Reverse ”. Joseph Morgan, Daniel Gillies, and Claire Holt returned to The Vampire Diaries in a especial cameo on the series ‘ hundredth episode “ 500 Years of Solitude “. Nina Dobrev besides appeared in the one-fifth episode of The Originals ‘ second season, “ bolshevik Door ”, as Tatia, another doppelgänger. At the Television Critics Association winter 2016 imperativeness enlistment, CW president Mark Pedowitz announced an official crossover voter between The Vampire Diaries and The Originals, where Stefan goes on the run and finds a haven in New Orleans where he runs into Klaus. [ 172 ] In November 2014, a web series titled The Originals: The Awakening was released as the one-third show in the franchise. The series explores the quality Kol Mikaelson and his relationships with his siblings. Flashing back to 1914, Kol is on a request to ally with the witches of the french Quarter. Awakening gives answers to some questions about Kol ‘s past, including the origins of his competition with his family and the unique backstory he has with the New Orleans witches. Each webisode is approximately two minutes hanker. The series concluded on December 8, 2014. To date, The Originals: The Awakening is the lone web series in The Vampire Diaries population .
On October 31, 2013, DC Comics launched a comic book series based on the television indicate. [ 173 ]
Read more: WGU Federal School Code