In the 1920 annual report, Wirth suggested that possibly the alone available and low-cost nation in south Minneapolis that would provide the minimum of 150 acres needed for a golf course was between Rice Lake and Cedar Avenue. The idea catch on. In the adjacent class ’ s report, board president of the united states William Bovey “ strongly ” advised the board to acquire the state around Rice Lake—but lone what was ” absolutely necessary ” to provide a desirable golf path and resort area. He repeated the advice the follow year .
In 1922 the park board followed that advice and designated for learning not merely Rice Lake, but the bring to the west of the lake for a golf naturally, and the entire valley of Minnehaha Creek from the lake to Minnehaha Falls. While the final examination acquisition was much larger than contemplated years earlier, so was the price tag. With increasing development of southerly Minneapolis, surely aided by the creation of Lake Nokomis and the surround park, Rice Lake was no long priced as just a swamp. The park display panel paid $ 550,000 for the lake, surrounding country and brook bed. Rice Lake had been acquired not to provide a reservoir for Minnehaha Falls, or to be filled in as hayfield ; it had been acquired in large character to become a golf course. The price of the acquisition was assessed 100 % against “ benefited ” place over five years, the steepest judgment in park circuit board history not spread in region over property city-wide .
The method acting of financing the acquisition by local judgment basically prevented development of the place until it was paid for. The park board didn ’ metric ton feel it could add an judgment for developing the property on top of the assessment to acquire it. however, Wirth submitted his first gear plan for the place in 1924, which showed the basic layout of the golf course and a resort area southeast of the lake. The plan besides included a man-made island in the southwest corner of the lake.
In an feat to provide some use of the modern park that the region was paying for, in December 1924 the parking lot board responded favorably to petitions from the region and established the first skate rink on the lake .
construction of the golf course and dredge of the lake began in 1929 after the assessments for acquiring the property had been paid. Wirth noted that he believed the optimum depth of the lake should be 14 feet and that was approved by the circuit board. His design to create the island was abandoned, he reported in 1930, when dredging revealed a miss of backbone deposits that were needed to build an island. The substantial dredged from the lake was used chiefly to construct rolling terrain needed for a more interest golf course —more “ sporty ” was Wirth ’ second description. Dredging of the lake was completed in 1931 and work began in earnest on the golf course. With the completion of dredge, the beach on the east prop up of the lake besides opened in 1931 .
The final touch to the new golf course was a clubhouse with the appearance of a “ very cozy bungalow, ” according to Wirth, which was constructed in 1932. The same year the golf clubhouse was built a shelter was besides built in the northeast corner of the park to serve the playground. Playground equipment was installed in 1931-1932. The tennis courts along Minnehaha Parkway were besides built in 1932 .
The golf course was last in playable stipulate and the first nine holes opened for play July 30, 1934. The charge for playing nine holes was set at $ 0.35. The entire run opened the future summer. Almost immediately, the new course was the entirely profitable path operated by the park display panel. While waiting to build the Hiawatha course, the park circuit board had besides created two more golf courses, Armour ( Gross ) and Meadowbrook in the mid-1920s. Both courses enjoyed initial popularity, but with the coming of the Great Depression golf maneuver everywhere dropped off dramatically. Throughout the 1930s, Hiawatha was the only profitable golf path.
The course was heavily used despite repair several years where fill from dredging had settled and required fresh meet. In 1939, a federal work relief stick out added land walls to prevent erosion at Lake Hiawatha, as had been done at most other city lakes. Park overseer Christian Bossen explained that shores created by dredging were specially susceptible to corrosion from curl action .
One of the only major changes to the layout of the ballpark since it was created was the addition of a second ball field made by filling bring north of the lake in 1968. In 1977, the original diversion center was demolished and replaced .
The park did not have wax prison term refreshment supervision until 1999, the lapp year that a Learning Center was added to the golf course northwestern of the clubhouse and Tiger Woods made an appearance at the course for the Fairway Foundation and the Minnesota Minority Junior Golf Foundation.
In June 2014 criminal record rainfalls caused a annihilative flood that forced the stallion class to close for months. Water receded adequate for workers to repair and reopen the front nine holes in fall 2014. The rear nine full course reopened in 2016 .
In July 2021, the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board of Commissioners voted to change the name of the clubhouse to the Solomon Hughes Sr. Clubhouse. In accord with Resolution 2021-250, a display telling the “ history of Solomon Hughes and early Black golfers who worked to end discriminative practices and extend the sport of golf within the Black community, ” is besides being created .
History through 2008 written by David C. Smith, with updates from 2009 to present written by MPRB .