May 18, 2022
Hasna A .
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED on Chrome: What It Is and 11 Ways to Fix It
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED is an error message you might encounter when accessing a web site using Google Chrome. Although thwart, it normally indicates a client-side problem that you can easily fix.
This guide will explain what the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED erroneousness is and 11 methods to troubleshoot it .
|Error variations||This site can’t be reached
This page is unavailable
Unable to connect
Hmmm…can’t reach this page
|Error causes||Faulty internet connection
Google synchronization error
Bad Google Chrome extensions
Antivirus, firewall, or VPN interference
Outdated browser or DNS cache
What Is the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED Error?
The ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED erroneousness message appears on Google Chrome when the browser ’ mho undertake to connect to a web page is refused .
On Mozilla Firefox, this error produces the “ ineffective to connect ” message. meanwhile, Microsoft Edge displays “ Hmmm…can ’ t reach this page ” when the issue occurs .
In most cases, ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED is a client-side error, which means that an issue on your machine has caused it. however, in rare cases, the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error in Chrome can be caused by the aim web waiter .
If you ’ re seeing ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED on localhost though, the solution to your problem will be related to localhost deoxyadenosine monophosphate well .
How to Fix Fix ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED – Video Tutorial
Learn how to fix the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED erroneousness on your web browser .
Subscribe For more educational videos!
11 Methods to Fix ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
This section will explore 11 methods to fix the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED mistake in Chrome .
The methods are by and large beginner-friendly, although some of them are advance. We will walk you through each mistreat, making the troubleshooting process vitamin a painless as potential. Let ’ s beginning .
1. Check Whether the Website Is Down
The ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error can sometimes be caused by issues with the web site itself, such as waiter downtime. Before trying out the early methods, check if the site is accessible .
To check if a web site is down, use free on-line tools such as Website Planet, Host Tracker, or Site24x7. All you have to do is input the web site ’ s URL, and the instrument will tell you the web site condition .
If the web site is down for everyone, all you can do is wait for the web site administrators to fix the issue. If not, the trouble undoubtedly lies in your machine, and you can try the pursuit methods .
2. Restart Your Network Adapter
You can much fix a faulty internet connection by simply restarting your router. Whenever you have joining issues, this method is always worth trying .
To restart your network adapter, locate your router and unplug the world power. Wait 10-30 seconds before plugging the exponent back on. Once you ’ ve reconnected to the internet, try reaccessing the web site .
3. Troubleshoot Internet Connection
Windows and macOS have built-in tools for troubleshooting connection issues. The troubleshooter can pinpoint the trouble and volunteer possible fixes .
Follow these steps to start the connection troubleshooter on a Windows car :
- Open Settings using the Start menu or pressing the Windows key + I.
- Navigate to the Network & internet menu.
- Press the Troubleshoot button.
- Select the network adapter you want to diagnose and click Next.
- Wait until the system finishes analyzing the issues.
- If issues are found, apply the suggested fixes.
- Close the troubleshooter and reboot the system.
For Mac users, here ’ s how to start the internet troubleshooter :
- Disconnect or unplug all external devices except your monitor and keyboard.
- Turn off the system.
- Turn the system back on while pressing and holding D.
- Choose your preferred language.
- Wait until Apple Diagnostics has finished running.
- If the system identifies issues with your connection, it will suggest possible solutions.
- Apply the suggested solutions and reboot the system.
Try revisiting the debatable web page after running the troubleshooter on your system. If the topic persists, try the other methods .
4. Turn Off Synchronization to Google
Problems with Google ’ s synchronization may cause the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error in Chrome .
here ’ s how to turn off synchronization on Google Chrome :
- Open the three dots menu located to the right of the address bar.
- Select Settings.
- Go to Sync and Google Services -> Turn off.
Check whether the error is solved. Don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate forget to turn on the synchronism again after browsing the web site .
5. Check Google Chrome Extensions
Google Chrome extensions are bang-up for extending Chrome ’ s functionality and improving the overall browse experience .
however, many extensions are made by third-party developers and are not closely monitored by Google. Therefore, an outdated or debatable Google Chrome extension may be causing the erroneousness .
We suggest checking all the extensions installed on your Google Chrome browser. Make certain that they are all recently updated and uninstall any outdated ones .
This is besides an excellent opportunity to disable Chrome extensions that are weighing down your browser. It ’ randomness vital to regularly audit install extensions to prevent amphetamine issues and security threats .
To remove a Google Chrome browser extension, follow these steps :
- Navigate to Chrome’s three dots menu -> More tools -> Extensions.
- In the Extensions menu, find the extension you want to uninstall and click Remove.
ultimately, check whether you can access the web site after uninstalling the reference .
6. Reinstall Chrome
Your current Google Chrome installation may have issues causing the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error. The easiest way to revert Chrome to its original settings is to uninstall and reinstall it again .
But before you do this, consider a agile manner to revert the Chrome browser to its original settings by resetting it .
Follow these steps to reset Chrome :
- Open Chrome.
- Navigate to the three dots menu -> Settings -> Advanced.
- Click Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Select Reset settings.
If the mistake hush appears, proceed to reinstall the Chrome browser. here ’ s how to do it on Windows :
- Open Chrome.
- Download the latest version of Google Chrome to your computer.
- Open Settings -> Apps -> Apps & features.
- Find Google Chrome in the App list, expand the three dots menu, and click uninstall.
- After Chrome is successfully uninstalled, run the previously downloaded Chrome installer.
7. Disable Antivirus and Firewall
The determination of antivirus and firewall programs is to protect your calculator from security threats like viruses and malware. These programs regularly scan your files and network traffic for malicious activity and block them from infecting your calculator .
however, antivirus and firewall programs are not perfective. sometimes, they can block safe websites, preventing users from accessing them. rather of opening the web site normally, the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error may appear on your browser rather .
temporarily disabling the antivirus and firewall might fix this mistake. That said, make surely that the web site you ’ re trying to access is safe before you try this method acting .
here ’ s how to disable the antivirus software and firewall on Windows if you ’ re using the default Windows Defender Firewall :
- Access Windows Security by going to Settings -> Privacy & security.
- Click Virus & threat protection.
- Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings.
- Switch off Real-time protection.
- Go to Firewall & network protection.
- Open each network profile – domain network, private network, and public network and disable Microsoft Defender Firewall.
If you ’ re using a macOS machine, follow these steps to turn off the built-in firewall temporarily :
- Click the Apple logo at the top left corner.
- Select System Preferences -> Security and Privacy.
- Select the Firewall tab to expand its settings.
- Click the lock icon and enter your username and password.
- Once it’s unlocked, select Turn off Firewall.
- Click the lock icon again to prevent further changes to the firewall settings.
If you use third-party antivirus and firewall software, the steps to disable it will be specific to the software. We recommend studying the software ’ s software documentation to learn how to do it correctly .
Keep in mind that you should only disable your antivirus and firewall software temporarily. You risk getting viruses or malware if you keep them off. After trying this method, quickly restore the antivirus and firewall software to its original state .
8. Deactivate VPN
For many people, having a VPN is essential for ensuring their on-line privacy. A VPN lets users mask their actual IP address, making them appear to be browsing the internet from another location .
however, some VPNs might interfere with the connection and gun trigger the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error in Chrome. Deactivating the VPN temporarily may fix the return .
Most VPN services make activating and deactivating VPN comfortable. For case, here ’ s how to deactivate NordVPN :
- Open the NordVPN client.
- Make sure you’re connected to a server and select Disconnect.
- Select how long you want to pause the VPN connection for.
Don ’ triiodothyronine forget to reconnect to the VPN once you ’ re done trying this method acting .
9. Clear Cache
The browser hoard is where Chrome stores cookies, login data, and other information to speed up the web site loading process and personalize the user know .
It ’ s possible that your browser presently stores an outdated hoard of the debatable web site, triggering the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED erroneousness. Clearing the browser hoard will force your browser to amply reload the web site ’ second data, updating the cache to its latest translation .
Another means to quickly open a vane page without using the existing hoard is to open the web site in incognito mode or use a different browser. If the error message distillery appears, go ahead and clear your browser hoard in Chrome :
- Navigate to the three dots menu -> More tools -> Clear browsing data.
- In the Time range drop-down menu, select All time.
- Make sure that all the browsing data, including browsing history, cookies and other site data, and cached images and files are selected. Then, click Clear data.
Try reaccessing the debatable web site. If the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error message persists, proceed to the follow method acting .
10. Flush DNS Cache
The browser cache is not the alone place where web site data is kept locally on the node ’ randomness computer. Every computer besides stores a Domain appoint System ( DNS ) resolver hoard stored in the operate system rather than the browser .
Flushing the DNS cache will force your computer to redownload the latest DNS information of the web site, which might fix the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED erroneousness .
For Windows users, follow these steps to flush the DNS hoard :
- Open the start menu and search for Command Prompt.
- Right-click it and select Run as administrator.
- Type in this command and press Enter:
netsh winsock reset catalog
- Next, type in the following DNS flush command and press Enter again:
If you use macOS, here ’ s how to clear the DNS cache :
- Click the Spotlight Search button, search for Terminal, and open it.
- Type in the following command in Terminal and press Enter:
sudo dscacheutil -flushcache; sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder
- Enter your password when prompted to begin the DNS cache flush.
once the DNS resolver cache is cleared, try to reaccess the baffling web site and see if the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error message persists .
11. Configure Proxy Server Settings
aside from VPNs, people besides use proxy servers to protect their privacy on-line. A proxy server lets you browse under a unlike IP address and filter communication and hoard data .
however, a proxy server can besides cause connection issues like ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED .
There can be a assortment of causes, such as wrong proxy configuration, caching errors, or the web waiter blocking the proxy and the IP address attached to it. It ’ south besides possible that the proxy you ’ rhenium using has gone offline .
sol, if you ’ re using a proxy, it ’ second worth checking whether its settings are correctly configured .
here ’ s how to check proxy settings on a Windows system :
- Open Control Panel.
- Navigate to Network and Internet -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings.
- Make sure to uncheck both Automatically detect settings and Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections).
- Click OK.
If you use macOS, hera ’ s how to access proxy settings and adjust them :
- Click the Apple logo -> System preferences.
- Open proxy settings in Network -> Advanced -> Proxies.
- Uncheck all selectable proxy protocols.
- Click OK.
once your proxy is disabled, try reloading the network page. If the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED persists, there ’ s one final examination method you can try .
12. Change DNS Server
An overload or inactive DNS server can be the perpetrator of ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED .
By default, every internet exploiter uses their internet service supplier ’ second ( ISP ) DNS server address. You ’ rhenium release to change the DNS address if you need to .
To find out if your current DNS server is causing the problem, try changing your default DNS address to one of the follow :
- Google Public DNS: 220.127.116.11 or 18.104.22.168
- Cloudflare DNS: 22.214.171.124 or 126.96.36.199
- OpenDNS Home: 188.8.131.52 or 184.108.40.206
- AdGuard DNS: 220.127.116.11 or 18.104.22.168
- Quad9: 22.214.171.124 or 126.96.36.199
hera ’ s how to change your DNS settings on Windows :
- Open the Start menu -> Settings -> Network & internet.
- Select the internet connection you want to assign the new DNS to. In this tutorial, we’ll select Wi-Fi.
- Open Hardware properties.
- Next to DNS server assignment, click Edit.
- If it’s set to Automatic, change it to Manual.
- Choose the internet protocol version (IPv) that your ISP requires. Most ISPs use IPv4 by default, but some require IPv6 addresses.
- In this example, we’ll switch to Google Public DNS. Enable IPv4 and enter Google Public DNS’s Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server.
- Some DNSs are encrypted, which is better for security. To make sure encryption is enabled, choose Encrypted preferred, unencrypted allowed for each DNS address.
- Click Save.
here ’ s how to change the DNS servers on macOS :
- Click the Apple logo -> System Preferences.
- Open Network.
- In the left sidebar, select the network you want to assign the new DNS to.
- After the network is selected, click Advanced.
- In the new window, open the DNS tab.
- Remove the existing DNS servers.
- Click + to add the new DNS server addresses.
- Enter your preferred public DNS address. In this example, we’ll use Google Public DNS.
- Click OK.
unfortunately, custom-made public DNSs can run into problems american samoa well. If you happen to use a custom-made DNS server already, try reverting to your ISP ’ s original DNS as this can sometimes fix the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error .
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED is one of the connection errors that may appear in Chrome. It is normally a client-side exit with a number of possible causes, including an undependable internet connection, Chrome propagation issues, antivirus and firewall hindrance, and wrong internet settings .
In this template, we went over 11 methods to solve the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error :
- Check if the website is down or not. Use website status tools like Website Planet to make sure that the issue isn’t with the website’s server.
- Restart your network adapter. Turn off your router and turn it back on again after 10-30 seconds.
- Troubleshoot internet connection. Use the built-in internet troubleshooters provided by your operating system.
- Turn off synchronization to Google. In the Chrome browser settings, temporarily turn off Google synchronization which sometimes may cause the error.
- Check Google Chrome extensions. Try disabling outdated or problematic Chrome extensions.
- Reinstall Chrome. Reset Chrome to its default settings. If the error persists, try reinstalling it.
- Disable antivirus and firewall. Some antivirus and firewall software may wrongfully diagnose safe websites as dangerous. Temporarily disabling the software may solve the error.
- Deactivate VPN. VPNs may interfere with your connection – try temporarily disabling it.
- Clear cache. An outdated browser cache can cause connection errors. Navigate to Chrome’s settings to clear the browser cache.
- Flush DNS cache. An outdated or incompatible DNS cache can mess with connections as well. Use the command prompt or Terminal to flush the DNS cache.
- Configure proxy server settings. Issues with the proxy you use can cause the error. Try disabling it and see if the error persists.
- Change DNS server address. Try using another publicly available DNS or revert your custom DNS to your ISP’s original address.
We hope that one of the methods has helped you fix the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED erroneousness. however, if the error message persists and it ’ s your web site that experiences the error, we recommend contacting your hosting supplier for help. We besides suggest using secure web hosting to minimize any errors .
Was this tutorial helpful?
Read more: WGU Federal School Code
Hasna is a content writer at Hostinger. With love and cognition in technical school and digital market, she hopes to help people solve their problems and succeed. When not writing, she enjoys populate music and overanalyzing movies .