Coburg is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 8 kilometer north of Melbourne ‘s central occupation district. Its local government area is the City of Moreland, although a handful of properties on Coburg ‘s eastern boundary are located in the City of Darebin. At the 2016 census, Coburg had a population of 26,185. Coburg ‘s boundaries are Gaffney Street and Murray Road in the north, Elizabeth Street and Merri Creek in the east, Moreland Road in the South and Melville Road, Devon Avenue, Sussex Street and West Street in the west. Coburg is designated one of 26 Principal Activity Centres in the Melbourne 2030 Metropolitan Strategy.
Reading: Coburg, Victoria – Wikipedia
population [edit ]
In the 2016 Census, there were 26,185 people in Coburg. 62.1 % of people were born in Australia. The following most coarse countries of give birth were Italy 5.7 %, Greece 2.8 %, Lebanon 2.4 %, England 2.2 % and Nepal 1.8 %. 58.3 % of people spoke merely English at dwelling. early languages spoken at home included italian 9.1 %, greek 6.3 %, Arabic 5.7 %, Mandarin 2.0 % and Nepali 1.9 %. The most common responses for religion in Coburg were No Religion 36.7 %, Catholic 26.7 % and Eastern Orthodox 8.5 %. [ 1 ]
culture [edit ]
The cultural diverseness of Coburg is reflected in many ways – through its local street and music festivals, kind of cafe, bakeries, restaurants and grocery store shops stocking ingredients from around the world .
history [edit ]
Pentridge Prison Front Gate in 2020 Bluestone Cottage Museum Coburg Coburg Metropolitan Fire Brigade Station used from 1925 to 1992 prior to European settlement, the area around Coburg and Merri Creek was occupied by the Woiwurrung talk Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nation. The Wurundjeri had a religious relationship to their land, participating in corroborees and sacred ceremonies on Merri Creek. Coburg was foremost surveyed by Robert Hoddle in 1837 – 1838, and he recorded that a Mr Hyatt had a sheep station and hut on the east bank of the Merri Creek, near award Outlook Road. Hoddle marked out a 327-acre ( 1.3 km2 ) village reserve with two roads for the district : Bell Street West and Pentridge Road, later called Sydney Road. In 1840 the place was named Pentridge by a surveyor called Henry Foot who lived and worked near Merri Creek. [ 2 ] It was named after the birthplace of Foot ‘s wife : Pentridge, Dorset, England. [ 2 ] [ 3 ] Dr Farquhar McCrae, a affluent surgeon, purchased 600 acres ( 2.4 km2 ) in the area which he called Moreland. In 1841 he besides bought farming called ‘La Rose ‘ in what is now known as Pascoe Vale South. The house he built in 1842 or 1843 is now known as Wentworth House, and is the oldest know private brood in Victoria hush standing on its original web site and the fifth oldest build in Victoria. [ 3 ] In 1842 the inaugural hostel, The Golden Fleece, was built on Sydney Road good north of Page Street. Twenty one farms were in the area by 1849. With the priggish gold bang in the 1850s the population of the area grew quickly. In 1858 water mains from Yan Yean were connected and the first local newspaper, the Brunswick and Pentridge Press, was started. In 1859 the Pentridge District Road Board was formed to get roads built in the area, the start of local anesthetic government for the area. [ 3 ] Quarrying of bluestone began in the area 1850s, and by 1875 there were 41 quarries in Coburg. In December 1850 16 prisoners were moved from an overcrowd Melbourne Gaol to a stockade at Pentridge. Prisoners at what came to be called HM Prison Pentridge were immediately put on “ hard british labour party ” by breaking up bluestone for road surfaces. In 1867 a public confluence was called to change the diagnose of the district, as residents were stigmatised and embarrassed at support in a suburb chiefly known for its jail, Pentridge Prison. Robert Mailer of Glencairn suggested that the suburb list be changed to Coburg, inspired by the at hand inflict to the colony of the Duke of Edinburgh, who was a member of the royal house of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. The government agreed with the marriage proposal and the exchange was made in March 1870. [ 3 ] The Post Office opened on 1 August 1853 and the district was renamed Coburg in January 1870. [ 4 ] Sydney Road attracted numerous hotels and commercial premises in the 1860s. friendly societies soon formed : Manchester Unity ( 1863 ), Druids ( 1867 ), Rechabites ( 1868 ) and a St. Patrick ‘s society in ( 1870 ). Coburg late became a shire in 1875. The Upfield railroad track note opened in 1884, and the Coburg railway place was built in 1888. In February 1889 the horse streetcar service began along Sydney Road. Electric tramway started in service in 1916. [ 3 ] By 1899 there were 6000 people in the zone. Coburg was gazetted as a borough in 1905 with Thomas Greenwood becoming Coburg ‘s first mayor. The Public Hall built in 1869 was extended in 1909, but was silent inadequate for the growing city. The newly Town Hall was built and opened in 1923, with further extensions in 1928. [ 3 ] Lake Reserve is a popular cinch position on the Merri Creek. The bring was purchased in 1912 and a weir was constructed in 1915 to form a lake contained by basaltic outcroppings. The substitute was vastly popular, with dive boards, wading pools, booth and gardens, and continues to be a favorite picnic point, besides accessed by the Merri Creek Trail. [ 3 ] After World War I there was meaning growth east of Sydney Road, with the erstwhile East Coburg Primary School open in 1926, and a Coburg East Post Office open in 1929 ( closing in 1975 ). A Coburg West Post Office opened in 1936 and closed in 1979. [ 4 ] The Coburg Magistrates ‘ Court closed on 1 February 1985. [ 5 ] Coburg High School was closed in 1996 by Jeff Kennett, then Premier of Victoria. The site has been sold numerous times yet silent sits empty. After considerable residential district natural process, initially opposed by the Bracks Labor Government, in 2012 the then Liberal State Government reopened Coburg High School on the site of the previously closed Moreland High. It is now a thriving 7-12 High School. In June 1994 the 72-year-old City of Coburg ceased to exist when it merged with the City of Brunswick to become the new City of Moreland .
Commerce [edit ]
- Sydney Road Jeweller in 2017
- Coburg Market Façade in 2018
- Walkers Arcade Façade in 2018
- Foleys Mall Façade in 2018
The chief commercial activity in Coburg is the precinct between Coburg railroad track station and Sydney Road. Coburg does n’t have an enclosed shopping promenade, though it does have four shopping arcades on the west side of Sydney Road. Coburg ‘s main commercial precinct comprises about 250 shops, a minor indoor marketplace, respective supermarkets such as Coles and Woolworths and deduction stores such as Dimmeys arranged round large, grind flat car parks. In the 1990s the Victoria Street pedestrian promenade was revamped with native trees and bluestone paving and has become an extremely popular topographic point for locals to congregate, enjoying the local cafe. While Coburg Shopping Centre is very busy during the day, its modest issue of restaurants, cafe and bars means that it can be calm in the evenings. The commercial strip of Sydney Road is continuous from Coburg ‘s southerly neighbor Brunswick, but it has a identical different character, having therefore far remain ungentrified .
transport [edit ]
The stations of Moreland and Coburg service the south of Coburg, while Batman and Merlynston service the north. These stations are all located on the Upfield railroad track line. Three tramcar lines service the area. Route 19 travels along Sydney Road from the end point at Bakers Road, North Coburg to Flinders Street station in the city. While the scheduled service is 6–15 minutes apart it is frequently late due traffic congestion on Sydney Road. Route 1 tramcar service travels from the terminus at Bell Street, Coburg, along Nicholson Street, then Lygon Street Brunswick East, Swanston Street past Flinders Street station to South Melbourne, while route 6 travels from the tram storehouse on Moreland Road, joining the issue 1 route at the overlap of Moreland Road and Nicholson Street. While the act 1 turns to South Melbourne at the Arts Centre, route 6 continues along St Kilda Road to Glen Iris. Route 58 from Toorak serves the westerly part of Coburg via Melville Road, terminating at Bell Street. Cyclists have access to many on-road motorcycle lanes arsenic well as the Upfield Bike Path and the Merri Creek Trail. There are besides several bus routes and they all serve either the north west or the north of Coburg. route 527 is a very popular serve as it serves Preston which is an attraction for food and retail outlets in the north and is merely a short 10–15 hour bus tripper from Bell Street near Sydney Road .
educational facilities [edit ]
Maternal and Child Health Centre Coburg has a variety of primary and secondary educational facilities. There is a particular developmental school, four government primary schools ( Coburg North PS, Coburg PS, Coburg West PS, Moreland PS ), three Catholic primary schools and a Maronite Christian primary school. australian International Academy ( previously known as King Khalid Islamic College ) is a secret Islamic school providing basal and secondary education. Following a free burning local political campaign, Coburg High School was reestablished in 2015 provide for years 7 to 12. There are early schools including the Antonine College secondary coil school campus ( 7–12 ), and Mercy College for girls .
sport [edit ]
The suburb is home to the Coburg Lions Australian rules football club in the priggish Football League ; the suburb besides is home to 2 Essendon District Football League clubs – West Coburg FC and Northern Saints FC. Coburg besides has basketball, cricket, tennis, baseball, swim, table tennis, lead cycling and soccer clubs. One of the oldest frolic clubs in the area is the Coburg Harriers Athletic Club which has been established for over 100 years. [ 8 ]
Landmarks and luminary places [edit ]
major features of the area include the Sydney Road commercial area, the Moreland City Council civic center precinct on Bell Street including the Coburg City Hall, La Rose theater ( Victoria ‘s oldest known individual dwell ), the John Fawkner Hospital on Moreland Road, and Lake Reserve on Merri Creek. The suburb ‘s most celebrated landmark is HM Prison Pentridge, which has recently been redeveloped into a house estate. land prices have risen well since 2001, with The Grove hanker regarded the most esteemed street in the suburb .
- Dunne ‘s Buildings ( 1891 ) in 2018
- Merri Creek at Lake Reserve Coburg in April 2021
- The Leaning House of Coburg in 2020
- Drums Hotel Coburg
inheritance places [edit ]
Coburg Coburg has a number of places of inheritance significance listed on the priggish Heritage record :
Murray Road Bridge over Merri Creek
Coburg besides has a count of places protected by Heritage Overlay controls in the Moreland plan system .
celebrated people [edit ]
See besides [edit ]
- City of Coburg – the former local government area
References [edit ]
- Richard Broome, Coburg: Between two creeks, Melbourne, 1987
- Laurie Burchell (ed), Coburg Chronicles, Coburg, 1998
Category : Uncategorized