Enter zip code to see insurers who file SR22s .
Your information is batten .
How much does an SR-22 cost?
once you ’ ve purchased or renewed a policy, most providers will file an SR-22 for a fee of $ 20 to $ 50.
But it ’ s not the fee that ’ s most expensive when you file for an SR-22 — you ’ ll besides typically see higher premiums than you ’ re used to .
The impact of an SR-22 on your car insurance rates
SR-22s are frequently required after a drive conviction, such as driving without insurance or a DUI conviction. With such severe convictions on your drive record, you ’ re considered a “ high risk ” driver by the state and most providers. spill to your supplier about how much you can expect your rates to increase. And make sure you understand your character in maintaining your insurance and your SR-22. A elapse or nonrenewal could set you back a batch of money and time .
How do I file an SR-22 in Louisiana?
- Find an insurer. Ask your insurer if it issues SR-22s in the state of Louisiana. If it doesn’t, you’ll need to find a car insurance company that does.
- Pay the SR-22 fee. Finalize your SR-22 by paying a fee to your insurer to process and file the form on your behalf.
- Verify minimum liability coverage. If you’re already insured, call your provider to verify your policy includes at least:
- $15,000 for injury or death to one person.
- $30,000 for injury or death to more than one person.
- $25,000 for damage to property.
You might see listed as 15/30/25 in indemnity documents .
- Submit your SR-22. Your insurance agent will file your SR-22 with the Louisiana Department of Public Safety.
- Wait for confirmation. You’ll receive a letter from your insurer and the Louisiana DPS that your SR-22 is accepted.
How long will I need an SR-22?
You ’ ll be required to maintain SR-22 coverage for at least three years. If you don ’ metric ton want to maintain the SR-22 filing for that long, and you can afford it, Louisiana will besides accept a deposition of $ 30,000– $ 50,000 in cash or securities .
What happens if I let my SR-22 lapse?
A backsliding in your coverage can come in one of several ways. Failing to file on time, ending your coverage with a provider or your insurance company canceling your policy due to continually belated payments are just a few reasons you may have a gap. Your license will likely be suspended in the event of an SR-22 lapse. To earn your license back you ’ ll need to renew your coverage and pay a $ 60 SR-22 cancellation suspension fee.
Do I need SR-22 insurance in Louisiana?
Your state DMV will let you know if you need to file an SR-22. You may need to file for an SR-22 if :
- You have a safety-responsibility or unsatisfied-judgment license suspension.
- You’re convicted of a DUI.
- You’re found driving without insurance.
- The state restricts or revokes your license.
- You’re under mandatory insurance supervision.
What if I don’t have a car or license?
You ’ ll still need to file for an SR-22 to legally drive in Louisiana. If you lose your license because you ’ re capture driving without policy, you might be required to carry non-owner indemnity to reinstate your license .
What if I’m from another state?
If you have an SR-22 from another state, maintain it while driving in Louisiana. Call the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles ( OMV ) and your insurance company to make surely your SR-22 is sufficient in Louisiana .
Cheap SR-22 car insurance in Louisiana
not every insurance company offers SR-22 file hold. Compare cheap rates from Louisiana insurance companies that offer SR-22 insurance. Your actual quotes will vary based on your demographics, placement, repel commemorate and other factors .
What happens when I don’t need SR-22 coverage anymore?
once you ’ re through the entirety of your file time period, you ’ ll want to confirm with the OMV that you ’ re well-defined before you change plans to avoid getting your license suspended. Your insurance company will be the future agency to contact. You can discuss your current policy, what ’ randomness available to you and if needed you can then change to a unlike supplier .
Compare Sr-22 car insurance companies
If you ’ ve arrive in worry behind the bicycle in Louisiana, you could be ordered by the court to file an SR-22. here ’ s a look at how you can get and maintain an SR-22 in Louisiana.
1 – 6 of 10
A unplayful drive conviction takes clock time and money to deal with, but it can be done. To make the journey angstrom smooth as potential it ’ south important to keep a clean record during your file period, keep up on policy payments and renew your indemnity early or on prison term. You ’ ll still have options when it comes to indemnity providers, even with a cross off on your record. Compare versatile insurers to get the full setting of what ’ s available to you, and get a plan that fits your needs .